ideas/non-vintage

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by halfatruck, Jun 13, 2018 at 7:53 AM.

1. #1 Posted Jun 13, 2018 at 7:53 AM

I live for the CABE

I've been riding my vintage bikes for quite a few years (now riding these during the week) , I now am using a mountain bike on weekends to ride longer rides along a river (I've added 2.12 street tires)..question is anyone know how much difference this combo (ease of) to ride than say a hybrid with a lighter frame and 700c tires (having a hard time keeping up with my 50ish son), or would adding a narrower/higher pressure tire to the MTN bike help:confused: or...would a vintage collegiate/suburban etc ride easier......

2. #2 Posted Jun 13, 2018 at 8:27 AM

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Compass makes trick 26" tires
    https://www.compasscycle.com/product-category/components/tires/26-inch/
    The tire weight makes a difference in acceleration and responsiveness, but higher pressure won't make you any faster (will actually slow you down on rough surfaces).
    here are my 700c x 38mm Compass Barlow Pass next to 25mm - I run these 40-60 psi, and this bike will run with anything.
    1KXQvW0.jpg

Most people agree 29'ers offer much more speed and control in the rough.
    Compass makes some great 700c tires, as well, up to 55mm
    https://www.compasscycle.com/product-category/components/tires/700c/

If you want to see the rest of my Pro CX, this is a great, lightweight and fast all-road/single-track bike,
    built on a '92 CX frame.
    J5BykBW.jpg

#2 bulldog1935, Jun 13, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 8:40 AM
    WetDogGraphix likes this.
  3. #3 Posted Jun 13, 2018 at 8:33 AM

Wore out three sets of tires already!

lightness really does not make a bike faster or easier to ride, it usually just makes it more expensive. I had a 19 lb roadbike and I also have a 27 lb mountain bike. the 8 pound difference had nothing to do with making the road bike MUCH faster with the same effort.

a hybrid with 700C tires and a quality wheelset would be worlds ahead of a mountain bike. 130 PSI slick tires, bladed spokes, quality bearings in the hubs, all good things. more important that weight is stiffness in the frame. a low quality frame uses up a great deal of your efforts flexing the frame. a stiff frame makes more of your effort move the bike forward.

4. #4 Posted Jun 13, 2018 at 8:59 AM

I live for the CABE

I suppose I have 3 problems currently, the bike (Fuji SX-600) weights 40 pounds, the tires only have 40 pounds max, and...I have converted to regular handlebars (upright position/old people style):(

5. #5 Posted Jun 13, 2018 at 9:17 AM

Wore out three sets of tires already!

40 lbs sounds pretty heavy for that bike. I bet it is closer to the 27 lb weight of my Mtn Bike. if you want to keep that bike just get smaller high pressure slicks for it. if you want to buy a new bike get a hybrid.

6. #6 Posted Jun 13, 2018 at 10:12 AM

Riding an Alexander Rocket Bike

I've made three mountain bikes out of old balloon frames. I usually run them with knobby tread tires.

bulldog1935 likes this.
  7. #7 Posted Jun 13, 2018 at 11:48 AM

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!

I would go with narrow tires.I have to say 110 PSI tires really are great on paved surfaces.I like upright bars.I am too old to ride road bike bars on the "drops".I think a bike in the 25 pound area is a good choice.I dont see the big advantage of the added cost of ultra light bikes unless you are a really serious rider. Its probably a lot cheaper to lose 5 pounds than to pay the added cost of getting a bike 5 pounds lighter. I like old school steel frames that flex a bit.Carbon fiber is lighter but rougher riding.

WetDogGraphix and halfatruck like this.