When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identification Help - L39679 '54 or '56 Lightweight Model

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I took some pics of the forks and a couple better ones of the badge. I guess that could be reminents of a brass coating, I am just not familiar with old Schwinn stuff. The frame has only two tabs on it which are the ones for the chain guard.

I will be happy to be able to say what years the serial numbers were used and lightweight model. Will post up some pics when I get it rebuilt.

Here is Eric's 1956 Traveler. I have seen the OP's style fork used on other 56 models also. If the badge is aluminum I'll "guess" the bike is a 56 model when the norm was aluminum for the Schwinn badges.

1583634352243.png

I really doubt at this point the OP's frame set can be ID'd with a model or a year. Schwinn cranked out these lightweights changing parts around over the years so with what we have to go on and a two year use of the serial number that frame set will need a whole new life. lol

Last edited:
In case you decide to take it further. Keep it mind to check fork with actual hub that is going to be used. These forks are known for bending. That is why Schwinn went to the blade. Almost indestructible.

rf8.JPG

rf10.JPG

Thanks for that clarification on the Traveler, GT. I'd say if the bike is a '56 and the forks are original to the bike then it has to be a single speed or two speed manual Traveler. The three speed in your picture has an attached brake cable stay and an attached bracket for the 3 speed cable pulley. The OP's frame has neither. The last year for the Varsity was '55. The Racer replaced the Varsity in '56, and the Racer had blade forks. Here is my '56 Racer.

So the tubular forks ended their run on the traveler in '58, with the '59 model picking up the blade style fork. The tubular forks in the 50s were on the world traveler, world and world varsity (as well as superior and paramount, but know one knows anything about those, so...). The collegiate and racer were blade only and world switched to blade in '55 for one year before it transitioned to the racer.

I made a post here about the years on winged badges.

I kind of disagree that the racer replaced the world varsity. The world was the base model lightweight tourist starting at the same time as the world traveler. The world varsity popped on the scene at the same time as the welterweight as varying options between the base model and top level tourist lightweights. The collegiate was a one year only bike in '54, in lieu of the world model—the base model tourist lightweight—and in '55 the world reappeared then transitioned to racer in '56.

Based on what I am seeing...the winged badge had the silver plating which has started to rub away, so mid 50s. The tubular fork could have been on a world traveler, world or world varsity. It doesn't have the welded on brake cable brackets, so it would not be a model that had hand brakes. One thing I am seeing is no welded on kickstand bracket. However, it does look rough in that area, so maybe it was cut away? The only model with a detachable kickstand in '54 was the collegiate and they all had a blade fork. And if one of the owners could cut away the kickstand, they could cut away the brake line brackets. I would say it is hard to know what it is. I would agree with @schwinnlax that it is probably a traveler that was not a 3 speed.

Back