When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identification Help Please?

-

Donny

On Training Wheels
I need help to identify my hawthorn bicycle please help!!!??!! I’ve searched the internet and talked to a lot a people but I think it’s rare?!!? I’d appreciate any help ty

51F8886C-4DA4-4E10-80FC-2666D3797F9D.jpeg

4F7D174C-0CA4-431B-A5AF-A558E6F5DDC3.jpeg

9D7C9F09-8BB4-4331-84C4-BF51897FA3D2.jpeg

It might be rare but that doesn't make it valuable. Hawthorne bikes were made for Montgomery Wards and that was the name Wards put on them. They were made depending on the year by Murray and Huffy and possibly others. My guess is that one was made by Murray. The bike is a middleweight bike most likely made in the late 1950s to mid 1960s. Low end bike when new because of the lack of chrome. Painted wheels, coaster brake, now
rack and tank, painted fenders and on and on. Basket is an aftermarket addition maybe a Wald and sign the bike could been used as a paperboy bike. If you are thinking about restoring it and put $300+ into it you could have a $150 bike. I have a basically similar Huffy bike that is new enough it still has some of the original tags on it. I paid $50 for it and doubt it has 50 miles on it. Mine is a 1963. Roger

It's a '58-'62 Snyder/Rollfast built. The hoop style rear stays, triangle cutouts in the center of the chain ring, and lack of long, pointy rear drop outs, differentiate their frame from Murray's similar design. They went to a smaller, mire angular chain guard in '63. Otherwise, there isn't any serial/date info for these.

It might be rare but that doesn't make it valuable. Hawthorne bikes were made for Montgomery Wards and that was the name Wards put on them. They were made depending on the year by Murray and Huffy and possibly others. My guess is that one was made by Murray. The bike is a middleweight bike most likely made in the late 1950s to mid 1960s. Low end bike when new because of the lack of chrome. Painted wheels, coaster brake, now
rack and tank, painted fenders and on and on. Basket is an aftermarket addition maybe a Wald and sign the bike could been used as a paperboy bike. If you are thinking about restoring it and put $300+ into it you could have a $150 bike. I have a basically similar Huffy bike that is new enough it still has some of the original tags on it. I paid $50 for it and doubt it has 50 miles on it. Mine is a 1963. Roger
I paid 40$ was just gonna sell as is it’s got to be worth 150-200$ I bet I’ll sell it for that much without doing anything to it it rides fine but thanks for the constructive criticism. God bless

I paid 40$ was just gonna sell as is it’s got to be worth 150-200$ I bet I’ll sell it for that much without doing anything to it it rides fine but thanks for the constructive criticism. God bless

people in California can't really come to a site like this and get a California price for anything. that would be an EASY $100.00 at the Sacramento car swap meets. I see bikes like that for 2 bills, but I don't think they sell. Craigslist is free, you got nothing to lose.

Back