When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identification Of A Circa 1900 Lady Bike

-

JEAN MARIE

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi ,

I purchased recently this old lady bike , which shows some typical US made features ;
rear oblique wheel axis attachment, crank , and head badge holes

I like the wooden rims, fenders and chain guard

the seller restored it about 10 years ago , but I don't like the way it was re painted, and will revert to more original look

would you guys help me identify it ?

thanks in advance

JM

US F DS.jpg

US F G.jpg

US F transmission.jpg

US F AR G.jpg

US F AV.jpg

US F chaine.jpg

US F AR D.jpg

thanks a lot

which year do you think it might be ?

by any chance, could you tell me wher could I find a picture of the headbadge of en Eagle bike of this age , and / or pictures of similar Eagle bikes ?

cheers

nice bike, but is the nickel all painted silver? I don't mind the black paint, most of these TOC bikes came in black
do you have a clearer picture of the coaster brake arm?

yes , alas, all the nickel silver aluminum painted ; I've started removing it on the handlebar and , when I've time, I hope I can revert to nickel or raw material ; at least this paint makes some protection for the time being

on the black paint , I expect I can give some oldish patina by specific " polishing"

I will take more precise picture of the coaster brake tomoro

In the mean time , I've found some indication on our french forum tontonvelo
http://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1890&hilit=eagle

this is the Girl's bike

but I'm a bit confused by the title " EAGLE 1902" , as I saw on wikipedia that Eagle went out of business in 1900

so , which year is it from ? before 1900 or later ?

Attachments

• Forum Tonton Vélo • Afficher le sujet - EAGLE 1902.pdf
    954.7 KB · Views: 398
Hi Locomotion ,

hereunder the picts of coaster arm which reads french and english wordings ; it's a Spencer Rochester NY , most probably imported and engraved in France with RS breveté SGDG ( which stands for "Sans Garantie du Gouvernement" = without government warranty)
It may indicate that the bike was imported by a french manufacturer or distributor and rebranded then;

other clues may be the TERROT saddle , the front fender " le touriste " which isn't present on the Eagle catalog, and the many holes for the headbadge (s) ; the Eagle one may have been replaced by another one

at this stage our detective work is not completed yet ...

I 've made an attempt on the handle bar to see how is the original nickel , and at first sight , it seems fair ;
hence, if other parts are similar , I may remove all the paint and just polish the nickel ; do you agree on that ?

eagle coaster arm 1.jpg

eagle coaster arm 2.jpg

eagle headbadge holes 3.jpg

eagle terrot saddle.jpg

eagle front fender le touriste.jpg

eagle guidon 1.jpg

eagle guidon 2.jpg

Wiki is wrong, shockingly enough. Eagle was making bikes in 1902. That bike looks close to an 1899 Model 51.

Eagle 189909.jpg
Eagle 189910.jpg

thanks for your input Pelletman ; I wish it's a 1899 one, which would be my oldest bike so far

but I see at least 2 diffrences between mine and the model 51 :
-the upper bent tube arrives largely higher on saddle tube on mine than on model 51
-the chain fender is different

and I guess that the shape of the sprocket design is slightly different around the crank axis ( mine is more rounded , sorry for my english )

Back