When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identify prewar frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
There are lots of badges that it may have sported.
This cadet badge recently sold.....I just love these:
1629525243308.png

This one may be long gone but worth asking: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/cadet-head-badge-1930s.161640/

Perhaps Princeton/Peerless badges like this one:
1629525450520.png

I like the P.C.-questionable Savage badge - Also a Winchester badge on this thread: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/more-headbadges.174447/
1629525655274.png

The rollfast BB Badges are cool and pop up for sale quite often. But Rollfast bikes had unique darts/paintschemes.
Hawthorne badges are pretty common too but sometimes a real cool one will pop up in Red or blue colors.
If you are unsure if a given badge will fit measure your badge hole spacing and confirm with a seller what the measurement is of the badge holes from center of hole to center of hole.

Good luck and have fun!!!

- Nate

Salad or others, do you happen to know the fork axle to crown measurement for the 1936 Rollfast or equivalent? I have spare 26" forks to try on the frame but some make front end bike sit low/high. The forks I have range from AC of 14.5 to 15.5"

I just measured a couple of what I believe are Snyder forks, and the dimension from axle to the bottom of the bearing cone was 15+1/4” and the inside (front) dimension (for tire and fender fit) was 14+1/8”.
A post war fork with the narrower tubes at the bottom and a removable top crown plate (fascia?) was about the same.

Good to know Snyder fork a2c is in the 15" range. If I want to maintain similar prewar ride characteristics, Google says a2c within 1" of original fork is ok. I have spare mtb threaded rigid forks with a2c 16.5" and longer. I'll not use those for this frame.

Curious to better see serial number, was thinking sandpaper or wire brush small area BB if paint non original. Or just leave it be?

Looks like a 1936-E Montgomery Wards Hawthorne from the serial number stamping (E….4) [not an “X” after closer examination], sprayed over with non-original gray primer and blue metallic flakes paint; and where one has kiboshed the OEM collet-style seat post clamp.
Side (horizontal) badge holes also look to have been filled and painted over.
The linear paint chipping make it look like the sport motorbike once sported a tank.
I removed some paint layers to see serial number 121134. Does this shed new light on frame? Current working identification is a 1936 Snyder/Rollfast

20210825_085711.jpg

Hi all, I finally completed the build of 1936 Rollfast frame. Any part I didn't have I mostly obtained from local yard finds. Managed to keep budget within the 200 range. Tried to keep it prewar when possible but ended up with: 18t Schwinn skiptooth chainring, skiptooth chain and dogbone cranks (prewar), Musselman rear hub (1948), chain tensions (pre/post war Elgin), "flat" wide handlebar/fork/10t skiptooth rear cog (from unidentified prewar ladies bike), truss rods (1952 Schwinn DX), chainguard (1953 Schwinn lightweight), front wheel (femco). This is my first build and I'm happy with it. Low gear ratio and wide bars make for easier pedaling and pedaling up my hilly area. Eventually I'd like to replace front wheel with prewar.

Back