When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identifying Hiawatha

-
I wouldn't call it a "mis-stamp" but rather a weakly struck stamp after the "A". You really start to see the 'jet age' influence in the mid to late 50s and early 60s on bicycles. The bicycle year thing generally starts a little later in the year than the car thing. The best you are going to do on year of the bike is the serial number unless you have paper work such as a sales invoice. I understand your quest for accuracy but I think you may drive yourself crazy if you try to over think this one. V/r Shawn

I wouldn't call it a "mis-stamp" but rather a weakly struck stamp after the "A". You really start to see the 'jet age' influence in the mid to late 50s and early 60s on bicycles. The bicycle year thing generally starts a little later in the year than the car thing. The best you are going to do on year of the bike is the serial number unless you have paper work such as a sales invoice. I understand your quest for accuracy but I think you may drive yourself crazy if you try to over think this one. V/r Shawn

OK, so this is a April 1951 model as stated by another forum member? So why would the other forum member claim this is a mis-stamp? I know a bit about using tools and die, especially punch and die in manufacturing. This serial number looks like it was hand stamped. Meaning someone had to hold the punch with the letter or number in place by hand and strike it hard with a hammer and it was done one character at a time. Today serial numbers are either embossed or punched onto a plate and the plate is attached to the bike or it is machine punched or even laser cut into the steel to a specific depth.

Someone stated the chain ring and chain guard are not original to the bike.

I have a Hiawatha chain guard but there was more chrome than paint on it. When these bikes were built and if the chain guard had more chrome than paint weren't the fenders also the same? And if the chain guard had more paint than chrome so did the fenders? I ask because in every photo I have seen of 1950's model bikes this seems to be the case. Of course the photos I have seen are of fully restored bikes that look like are meant for museums who only accept bikes that look like they came off of the show room floor or are entered into a judging competition. I am more interested in what would have been original to the bike.

Would the original front chain ring have been a skip tooth? If not where can I find an original replacement meant for Hiawatha bikes? I would love to find an OEM/new/old stock part for it.

As I stated earlier in this discussion I am going to have this bike mechanically restored and made operational by my local bike shop this fall. I am also going to have them put on the Hiawatha chain guard I purchased a while back from EBAY, even with the odd chrome to paint ratio. If I ever have this bike fully restored to show room quality finish I need to know about the details regarding the chain ring and chrome to paint ratio between the fenders and the chain guard.

As I stated in the quote you posted this is not really a mis-stamp and I don't believe the person that posted that meant it that way. All of these I've seen had chrome fenders but that's not to say 100% that's how all of them came. Personally I'd put the other guard on it, service it, and ride it as-is. To restore this bike would cost more than it would be worth finished. Of course if it is for pure sentimental reasons then cost (about $2k) would not be a factor. V/r Shawn

As I stated in the quote you posted this is not really a mis-stamp and I don't believe the person that posted that meant it that way. All of these I've seen had chrome fenders but that's not to say 100% that's how all of them came. Personally I'd put the other guard on it, service it, and ride it as-is. To restore this bike would cost more than it would be worth finished. Of course if it is for pure sentimental reasons then cost (about $2k) would not be a factor. V/r Shawn

This one has painted fenders. But what about the front chain ring? Others have stated these bikes did not come with a skip tooth. The front chain ring is an after market replacement, along with the chain guard. Where would I find a correct chain ring for a Hiawatha of this era? OEM or new/old stock would be preferred if possible. If I am unable to find one meant for a Hiawatha and I have to use the skip tooth on this bike, can bicycle chain meant for skip tooth chain rings still be found?

I believe your bike did come skip tooth originally. CWC used a skip tooth (1'" pitch) drivetrain up until the mid 50s. Chains are sold here all the time. Post a wanted ad for the ring and chain in the "Wanted" section of the forum. The ring looks like the pics below. You will also need the correct headlight which is neither easy to find or cheap. If you can find one plan on spending $200-300. V/r Shawn

DSC_0452 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0682 - Copy.JPG

I believe your bike did come skip tooth originally. CWC used a skip tooth (1'" pitch) drivetrain up until the mid 50s. Chains are sold here all the time. Post a wanted ad for the ring and chain in the "Wanted" section of the forum. The ring looks like the pics below. You will also need the correct headlight which is neither easy to find or cheap. If you can find one plan on spending $200-300. V/r Shawn

View attachment 344334 View attachment 344335

Would this Hiawatha have come with a head light originally or at that time, early 1950's, was it an add on, after market accessory as they are when bikes are sold today?

The chain guard I have is the same style and shape as the one in the photo, but as I said it has a lt more chrome on it. I will post a photo as soon as I can.

You need the headlight as shown on the bikes in posts #12-3. This light came from the factory on this bike. V/r Shawn

Hello all,

Sorry I have not been participating in any discussions lately. But I have been trying to research as much as possible about this Hiawatha I have.

Here is an update:
1. After being transported from Des moines, Iowa to a self storage facility in Sgt. Bluff, Iowa nad sitting there for over a taer the Hiawataha is now at the local bike shop being mechanically overhauled/rebuilt.

2. It has been recently discovered the pedals are Schwinn and it is believed the crank and crank arms are also Schwinn. It was someone in this group who advised me the chainguard is a Schwinn and it had an "incorrect" chainring on it that was thought to be a Wald replacement.

3. The bike has been 75" disasembled. The fenders, handlebars, rack, saddle and front end are still assembled. The battery box, grips, wheels, chainring, tires, tubes, chain, and tank have been removed.

4. I have the half of the tank with the horn. It still had old batteries in it. One was very corroded and had fallen out of the holder and was "fused" to the inside of the bottom of right side of the tank. The other was still in the holder with little to no signs of corrosion.

5. The horn is a Delta. At least that is what it says on the horn.

6. I put fresh batteries in the horn and it does work. But it sounds more like a buzzer than a horn.

7. I can turn the round "disc" that says Delta 360 degrees in either direction. It also looks like it has small tabs holding it on that can be "unbent" to remove it. As I turn the disc and push the button the tone changes from an obvious buzz to more of a horn sound.

8. The grips have to be replaced.

9. There is a hole at the end of the handlebar, on the top surface, on the right side, the grip covered it up. There is no hole on the left side.

10. I purchased a Hiawatha chain guard from Ebay.

11. The head light is missing.

12. Original grips are in terrible shape. Need to ne replaced.

13. Tires, tubes and rim tape needs to be replaced.

14. For right now the bike will not be fully restored. It does have scratches, and a few minor dents on the tank. It also has petina and surface rust that can be cleaned off with CLR and steel wool.

This is what is going to happen with the Hiawatha:
1. It is going to be mechanincally overhauled with same chain, chainring, cranks, pedals, rims, wheeL bearings, bottom bracket bearings, handlebars, head set bearings, saddle, tank, and horn.

2. Chain guard purchased from Ebay will be installed.

3. Spokes will be reused if they are good enough, otherwise they will be replaced as will the rim tape.

4. Tires and tubes will be replaced.

5. Grips will be replaced with black Schwinn replica's.

Here are more questions to this point:
1. What style of tires would be good for this bike? It is going to be ridden. Would white walls look better or black walls? Is there a specific brand collectors and restorers like to use.

2. Is it normal for the horn to sound more like a buzzer than a horn? As I stated as the disc is turned it changes tone. Should the disc be taken off to adjust something on the inside of the horn? Should it sound more like a horn when I get the other half of the tank on?

3. If I did ever want to replace the chainring, cranks and pedals is there a new/old stock supplier I can reach out to? or some other resource OTHER THAN Ebay? Ebay is not a very good source for parts like this.

4. Is there a web site dedicated to Hiawatha's or a book, guide, etc. Any other legitmiate resource?

I have taken photos of the bike with it torn down at the bike shop. My wife and I have also found old photos with the my father in law and the bike in it. I am hoping to create a slide show of the photos I have taken and of the photos we have found.

I am sure I wil lhave more to ask later. For nw thank yuou for any information and advice you can offer.

Hello all,

Sorry I have not been participating in any discussions lately. But I have been trying to research as much as possible about this Hiawatha I have.

Here is an update:
1. After being transported from Des moines, Iowa to a self storage facility in Sgt. Bluff, Iowa nad sitting there for over a taer the Hiawataha is now at the local bike shop being mechanically overhauled/rebuilt.

2. It has been recently discovered the pedals are Schwinn and it is believed the crank and crank arms are also Schwinn. It was someone in this group who advised me the chainguard is a Schwinn and it had an "incorrect" chainring on it that was thought to be a Wald replacement.

3. The bike has been 75" disasembled. The fenders, handlebars, rack, saddle and front end are still assembled. The battery box, grips, wheels, chainring, tires, tubes, chain, and tank have been removed.

4. I have the half of the tank with the horn. It still had old batteries in it. One was very corroded and had fallen out of the holder and was "fused" to the inside of the bottom of right side of the tank. The other was still in the holder with little to no signs of corrosion.

5. The horn is a Delta. At least that is what it says on the horn.

6. I put fresh batteries in the horn and it does work. But it sounds more like a buzzer than a horn.

7. I can turn the round "disc" that says Delta 360 degrees in either direction. It also looks like it has small tabs holding it on that can be "unbent" to remove it. As I turn the disc and push the button the tone changes from an obvious buzz to more of a horn sound.

8. The grips have to be replaced.

9. There is a hole at the end of the handlebar, on the top surface, on the right side, the grip covered it up. There is no hole on the left side.

10. I purchased a Hiawatha chain guard from Ebay.

11. The head light is missing.

12. Original grips are in terrible shape. Need to ne replaced.

13. Tires, tubes and rim tape needs to be replaced.

14. For right now the bike will not be fully restored. It does have scratches, and a few minor dents on the tank. It also has petina and surface rust that can be cleaned off with CLR and steel wool.

This is what is going to happen with the Hiawatha:
1. It is going to be mechanincally overhauled with same chain, chainring, cranks, pedals, rims, wheeL bearings, bottom bracket bearings, handlebars, head set bearings, saddle, tank, and horn.

2. Chain guard purchased from Ebay will be installed.

3. Spokes will be reused if they are good enough, otherwise they will be replaced as will the rim tape.

4. Tires and tubes will be replaced.

5. Grips will be replaced with black Schwinn replica's.

Here are more questions to this point:
1. What style of tires would be good for this bike? It is going to be ridden. Would white walls look better or black walls? Is there a specific brand collectors and restorers like to use. I usually prefer white walls on a deluxe bike and this one likely came with white walls. Given you are going to leave it crusty for the time being a set of John's repo black walls would be an excellent solution.

2. Is it normal for the horn to sound more like a buzzer than a horn? As I stated as the disc is turned it changes tone. Should the disc be taken off to adjust something on the inside of the horn? Should it sound more like a horn when I get the other half of the tank on? Don't expect a car horn sound out of these--no matter how it is adjusted it will still sound more like a loud buzzer than horn

3. If I did ever want to replace the chainring, cranks and pedals is there a new/old stock supplier I can reach out to? or some other resource OTHER THAN Ebay? Ebay is not a very good source for parts like this. There are no NOS suppliers. Other collectors may have NOS parts and if you don't want to source from Ebay then either attend shows, run a wanted ad here, or both.

4. Is there a web site dedicated to Hiawatha's or a book, guide, etc. Any other legitmiate resource? No,
As previously discussed Hiawatha is a brand that was sold through a department store and over the years there were a few different manufacturers (suppliers). Other than period ads there is no book currently on post war CWC products or Hiawatha brand bikes specifically.

I have taken photos of the bike with it torn down at the bike shop. My wife and I have also found old photos with the my father in law and the bike in it. I am hoping to create a slide show of the photos I have taken and of the photos we have found.

I am sure I wil lhave more to ask later. For nw thank yuou for any information and advice you can offer.

Back