When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identifying Hiawatha

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

suxvr40rider

Look Ma, No Hands!
I will upload photos as soon as I can.

I have what I think is a post WWII but pre 1950 Hiawatha. It has a springer front end, tank with horn button and presumably a horn inside, a battery box, and a rear rack. The serial number on the bottom bracket appear to start with "G56" and end with "A". I cannot tell the letters or numbers in between. The headbadge does NOT say Gambles on it nor is there a serial number on it.

My research has lead me to think it is post WWII and pre 1950. The serial number references I have found show serial numbers ending in "F" mean the Hiawatha's were manufactured in 1949. Photos I have found show Hiawatha's without the springer front end after 1950.

The research I have done has lead me to discussion topics on this forum site and information on other web sites that have helped me to determine the approximate age of this bike. I have also discovered Hiawatha's were built by Cleveland Welding Company and Shelby Manufacturing Company, with a few models made by Murray of Ohio and Huffman Mfg. The were sold largely by Gambles but also by retailers such as Sears.

I am the second owner. I inherited this bike from my mother in law, after my father in law passed away about 8 years ago. He was born in 1939.

I know Gambles used to be one of the stores that sold Hiawatha's but would Gambles have sold a Hiawatha without the Gambles serial number or without a head badge that says Gambles?

What year does the letter "A" at the end of the serial number designate?

When did Hiawatha stop having the springer front end added?

Where else would I find a serial number on this bike?

The bike is in need of a full restoration. I may not fully restore it an may only get it running mechanically again and donate it to the historical museum/society in the community the original owner grew up in. but first I need to track down as much info about this bike as I can.

Any info. would help. Thanks.

HIAWATHA 1.JPG
HIAWATHA 3.JPG
HIAWATHA 5.JPG

Back