When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identifying Hiawatha

-
If you post the complete serial number, or better yet a picture of it, you will probably get a more accurate response.....I dont think that bike was born with a skiptooth chain, but I dont know much.

In this blog article I wrote about the bike: History and Culture by Bicycle Part 189; History of a Bicycle Part 1: Hiawatha
is a photo of the underside of the bottom bracket showing the serial number. Part of it is not readable. I have also asked are there any other parts of the bike that have the serial number on it, no answer to that question so far. The serial number starts with G56 and end with A.

your answer is no, no other numbers, make the readable and you will have your answer, if your restoring it, take a wire wheel to the area and clean it off.

your answer is no, no other numbers, make the readable and you will have your answer, if your restoring it, take a wire wheel to the area and clean it off.

You mean other than a rubbing pencil on paper over the under side of the bottom bracket you recommend using a wire wheel or some other method to clear off the paint and clean the area to bring out the serial number?

I thought the letter at the end of the serial number was the designation for the year. What year is letter A?

Yes on clearing the paint. The A at the end of the serial wont tell you the year.

Last edited:
The bike, along with a women's Hiawatha, is in a storage facility about 10 miles from my house. I am going down there this weekend to look at the bikes and try and bring out the serial numbers. The women's bike belongs to my mother in law. We are storing it for her while she has her house on the market for sale. I steel wire brush to bring out the serial numbers and if that does not work I will have very coarse steel wool with me to use if necessary.

The full serial number after taking steel wool to the underside of the bottom bracket is: G56663 then a space and the A. What year was this Hiawatha made?

Here is a photo.

20160709_142133.jpg

Looks like that would be April 1951 to me. My notes say that AMF purchased Cleveland Welding very close to the time this bike was manufactured.

Last edited:
Back