When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identifying old Coventry bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sarahjane412

On Training Wheels
Attached is a photo of my great granddad Harry with his bike. It was taken around 1900-1910 in Coventry. Can anyone identify the make of bicycle? Any help and information would be much appreciated.

scan0002.jpg

Welcome to the Cabe.
Fantastic photo of Harry, I would say that the bicycle is possibly a little earlier than the age range you quoted.
Unfortunately I can't quite make out the monogram/design on the chaincase but I'll do a little digging online.
Someone on here may have seen it before.

Thanks for replying! Harry died in 1910 when he was only in his mid 30s so I was totally guessing a date for the photo.

Great resource! There is a Coventry Challenge No 2 Road Racer in the 1906 catalogue that looks very similar in design - though without a chain case. It's shame Harry couldn't have posed with the bike at an angle so that we could see the badge

With the cotter through the crank which was a holdover from the highwheel era, I would say the photo is more likely 1892-1894. The chain case is evidently a sealed arrangement judging from the good size oiler on top.

What was Harrys surname?
I'm seeing "H.R" in that monogram.
Looks very similar to the 1895/6 Rudge, Wedge & Co. gents model in the V-CC Library, with a chain case added.....
rudge_wedge_1895_vcc_library.jpg

Different handlebars, though perhaps Harry was a bit of a "scorcher".

Harry Rubery! Looks like it was a personal monogram then. Now you've pointed it out I can see the R clearly
I've just found out from my dad (Harry's grandson) that Harry used to race at the Rover Stadium which is now the Butts Stadium in Coventry. Hence the 'race' type handlebars?

Interesting, also looks very similar to Rover bicycles of that era, they also used similar chain cases.
I know someone who collects Rovers and I may see him at an event on Sunday, I'll ask him about it.
He doesn't use the internet so I can't email him unfortunately.

Interesting, also looks very similar to Rover bicycles of that era, they also used similar chain cases.
I know someone who collects Rovers and I may see him at an event on Sunday, I'll ask him about it.
He doesn't use the internet so I can't email him unfortunately.

Thanks so much for all your help. I have sort of promised my dad that I'll find out whatever I can! (he also doesn't use the internet)

Just looked up some more about Rudge, Wedge & Co, and its interesting that they were Wolverhampton based as Harry was born in Willenhall between Wolverhampton & Walsall & his wife was from Coventry so has close connections with both places.

Back