When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identifying old Coventry bicycle

-
It looks very similar to a Humber
You're right, the more you dig into those online catalogues, the more sameness between manufacturers becomes apparent; no different to todays offerings from current marques.
I feel that large oiler on the chain case may be a crucial clue.

Thanks so much for all your help. I have sort of promised my dad that I'll find out whatever I can! (he also doesn't use the internet)

Just looked up some more about Rudge, Wedge & Co, and its interesting that they were Wolverhampton based as Harry was born in Willenhall between Wolverhampton & Walsall & his wife was from Coventry so has close connections with both places.
You're welcome @sarahjane412, that part of the world was pretty much the centre of cycle manufacturing in England for many decades.
If Harry raced in Coventry you could try trawling through local newspaper reports that may mention him. Cycle racing was a very popular sport that drew large crowds. It's a long shot but you may get lucky!

1895 Sunbeam, also from Wolverhampton, getting close I think.....
wp_ss_20180418_0001.png

Just reporting back with a possible breakthrough.
Clipping from the Cheltenham Chronicle, 16 September 1899 below. There are quite a few catalogues from the Coventry Centaur Cycle company in the Veteran Cycle Club Library & the Road Racer looks pretty close!

Cheltenham Chronicle 16 September 1899.JPG

Centaur 1899 Catalogue.JPG

Close! Still missing that large oiler on the chain case though.
Apparently there were more than a few hundred manufacturers in that part of the midlands in Harrys time.
Anyone else got any ideas?

Getting closer! I think you can narrow down the search to "Road Racer" models. The Centaur chaincase is different, but the chaincase on Harry's bike is probably the most identifiable feature.

Yes, that oiler on top isn't like any others I've found. They all seem so far to have the refill hole at the back of the case like the Sunbeam.

Back