When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"If that was my bike..." 1948? Monark Super Deluxe

-

PLERR

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi all, My first legit post here on The CABE (after my intro). Just picked this up today (my first balloon tire bike!!!) and I'm hoping for two things from this post. First, getting the most common questions out of the way: what would you say this is worth, what year is it, and is it all original? I paid $275 (and the seller threw in two 90s mountain bikes), I'm thinking it's a '48, and I think only the grips have been changed but don't know for sure.

Second is the meat of the post. "If this was your bike..." what would you do with it? Lots of room for discussion there and I'm hoping for a lively debate! I think it could be taken in a number of directions. My intent is to do a full tear down, clean, re-lube, polish - and ride it.

But therein lies the rub. Some parts have lost all of the chrome. the aluminum could probably be shined to a near chrome finish. I don't want an odd look with some parts trash and some parts like new. How far is too far? Not far enough? I don't want to to end up with a bike where folks look at it and say it's a shame he did... Over polished the spoke nipples, whatever. And I sure don't want to rub through any graphics. I was planning on using Meguiar's cleaner wax or a light polishing compound, but certainly not rubbing compound. I'm open to replacing parts, but I like the idea of it having the "original" original parts. I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace the rims, though. What's left of the chrome brushes off like glitter. The wheels and crank are nearly seized.

I'm happy to add more photos if requested, but I didn't want to bog things down initially with a ton pics.

Thanks to all in advance

Just found the recent post on Monark ID. S/N works out to be a '47, but horn button is on the right ('48-'50). But I would say S/N rules the day, so it's a '47. Yes?

Last edited:
Back