When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

if you could have one part

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Personally, I think reproductions have negative financial consequences.
If well done like a Huffman mesh chainguard, they are almost indistinguishable from the original article and down the line, someone is going to get duped.
Also, reproductions bring down the values of the real thing and those of that covet real things feel this way... it is not extreme thinking and devaluation is proven over and over from pedals to entire bicycles.
As I said, I would prefer to wait for the real deal and the reward of countless hours of searching, networking, and money invested.
To be clear, I do not begrude those that reproduce items...there is clearly a market for the quick fix and lower standards.
Now back to the party...
Chris

I would like to see quality reproduction 26 and 28 inch tires. The Goodyear speedway tires in black and WW would be great.

Good quality, leather-topped metal pan, spring saddles (not the cheaper vinyl ones etc). Not as glamorous as a big and unwieldy tank, but much more useful.

I think repop parts can destroy the hobby or help it, Depending on how many are made and what part it is that is made.

Here for example is a great bike that 100% would benefit from repop parts as shes been robbed of everything, although repoping has killed the phantom market and any canti schwinn frame for me as well as the krates, I think repoping can save a lot of frames from being rusty garden art or being scraped
attachment.jpg

repop parts saved my pacemaker from the scrap yard and will be reborn from repop parts.
2013-01-27_13-00-07_969.jpg

western flyer 1.jpg

..like it or not, repoping also brings out bicycle interest, bicycle interest brings out more interested people, more interested people bring out more old stash(original parts) for the purists! One ends up helping the other. "If you are afraid you are gonna loose $$$$ selling your original "whatever", because of potential fakes out there... then you are in this hobby for the wrong reasons anyway!!!" Stick to bonds, CD's and the stockmarket. JMHO

"If you are afraid you are gonna loose $$$$ selling your original "whatever", because of potential fakes out there... then you are in this hobby for the wrong reasons anyway!!!" Stick to bonds, CD's and the stockmarket. JMHO

X2 that sentience

I'm not a fan of some of the really poor quality reproductions, but I will say that decent quality reproductions help get more bikes on the road and bring more people into the hobby. I think people getting off their couches and onto the road is a good thing in the end, and I ride everyday the good Lord permits.

ok lets put it this way

Lets pretend ...If its from the same molds, same specs, and you found the old bastard that originally made it .. OR for you scifi fans you get ten minutes in any bike store at any given time in the past. And yes the Doc gave you the right currency!

I'd take the 10 minutes. Would be tough to decide on a year. 1948 to get a green/green straightbar Autocycle. Or maybe 1959, lots of neat models and parts intro'd that year. Frig, decisions.
Cheers, Geoff

Shift levers for a Sears Free Spirit 10 speed. Hey if your gonna dream, dream big! V/r Shawn

Back