When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IGH Odd Question

-

wrongway

I live for the CABE
I'm almost sure I asked this before, but can't remember. Forgive me. Can I install an IGH (such as a S/A AW) in a bike frame that was made for a dérailleur? Is the IGH more narrow or wider?

Depends on the hub and the frame, but a derailleur frame will more likely be wider. Also, if you're talking a steel frame, you can always spread the rear if needed.

OLD is 115mm, and axles are 3/8" diam (about 9mm) vs. 11mm on road bikes.

Raleigh tackled this question going in the other direction when they built the first Lenton Grand Prix, c. 1956, 115mm OLD, 3/8" axle slots.
They began with the standard Lenton frame, which was made for SA hub, and they built a 4-cog freewheel hub for it.

1UDkL5n.jpg

(The hardest part was filing that axle spacer to fit the 9mm slots)

When I bought a bare Lenton frame, I had to use Paul freewheel hub with custom axle stubs to fit.
GVCNJF0.jpg

You'll need some kind of shouldered washer, very similar to what's on my bike just above. You might call Paul Components and ask to talk to their machinist Michael, and he might be able to build the parts for you.

Last edited:
Back