When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IJ year and history?

-

anders1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Can someone please tell me something about this new project that I found? I’m told it is 1900-10 “Lovel diamond Iver-Johnson.” I would like to confirm the year and learn something about the history. Also looking for stem, bars and saddle. Thanks guys, enjoy the ride... Anthony
A2C9F63E-B0E3-45E0-84FA-53A048D5A146.jpeg

9D85A335-FAA6-4C96-9AE4-23D21F7F933D.jpeg

6BA72E6E-0B17-46A6-BDFD-74E6EF7E3335.jpeg

6CEE0EDB-CB48-49EA-B097-DEDB04D311B1.jpeg

Yeah, I assume L-D changes followed I-J's, so that's definitely much later than 1910. Around 1913, the crank nut switched to the non drive side and the serial didn't move to the seat tube until later (~1915?, I'm not sure). My Iver is 195xxx and is about 1912. Don't know if the L-D had their own serial numbers or were sequenced within the same line as the I-J, but even in the former case, I doubt they would have built well more than double the number of L-Ds.

You sound a little discouraged by the later year, but don't be (unless you paid more based on it being earlier)—that's going to make a beautiful bike and these ride really nice. Great find, especially being the tall frame!

As for parts, a standard 1" threaded stem fits my Iver and some of the Brooks saddles were contemporary to the bike, so you can build a rider pretty affordably as you hunt for the original parts. Front hub is a probably a 90mm, which will be a little annoying as 100 has been the standard for so long, but you can likely find a New Departure Model W for real cheap on ebay (I got a pair in good condition for $20) to get you going.

It is a ij wright? Thanks for the information. I did buy because I thought it was a 10 or earlier but I’m still very happy with the bike. Thanks a lot buddy, enjoy the ride... Anthony

Back