I'm A Newbie, With SO Many Questions

This ad disappears when logged in

pdmccool

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 8, 2017
Joshua Tree, CA, United States
Hi, Folks. I've ridden Schwinns since I was a little kid, but I never bothered to learn any of the details about their parts, or the differences between models. Now, I'm wanting to rebuild the 1980 Cruiser that's been in my backyard since I dragged it out of the desert five years ago, and I'm baffled. Long story short, I'm wanting to replace the stem, headset, crankset, chain, front axle, and rims, but want to make sure I'm getting correct parts. The rims are heavy gauge chromed steel, with 36 heavy-gauge spokes, and aluminum hubs. Unfortunately, I think the rims are too badly rusted to be salvaged, but I'd like to keep the same style of hubs. Any help you can offer for a source, other than ebay, would be appreciated.

Bikermaniac

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Feb 17, 2011
Miami, FL
Hi welcome to the Cabe. Not my area of expertise but pretty sure someone will chime in soon with some help. Post a pic of the bike if you can. Welcome again.

pdmccool

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 8, 2017
I'll grab some pics in daylight, tomorrow. I did find a page from a Schwinn catalog that identified my rims as S2's. (Dual knurls, and .120-gauge spokes). Here's a few of the front rim.
1512802370227316544325.jpg
1512802415261542300319.jpg
1512802415261542300319.jpg
151280243607723231837.jpg

pdmccool

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 8, 2017
I've cleaned up worse looking rims then that with Evaporust. Give that a try first. Then post ads in the wanted section. I'm sure you will get flooded with parts!
I agree with the others, they will clean up. Welcome to the CABE.
Mike
Thanks, Mike. I feel like I'm catching on pretty fast to what it is I'm needing for this bike, and the CABE has been the best resource I've found. I have a lot of experience in automotive restoration, and can usually figure things out pretty well, but I was spoiled as a kid because we had five Schwinn stores within 20 miles of our house, so not being able to find the parts I need is frustrating.

jimsbeercans

Finally riding a big boys bike
Feb 3, 2012
Columbus Ohio
www.angelfire.com
Usually the chrome is pretty good on components and need a little "love" to bring them back. Post a few pics of the stuff you are working on, and we will give you an idea if its worth it or not.

pdmccool

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 8, 2017
One more odd question, what's the best way to reproduce the "arrowhead" pinstripes on the forks? As soon as I can get the kickstand out of my frame, I'll be taking it in for powder coating, and I'll want to add them back after the new paint is done.

GTs58

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Is your front hub cracked? And your looking for a hub, not just a front axle as mentioned in the first post?

151280243607723231837-jpg.jpg

vincev

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 2, 2008
crown point<indiana
Welcome to the Cabe...You came to the right place to learn about bikes.There are some pretty smart Schwinners on the Cabe. I ,not being one of them.lol

bikemonkey

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jun 25, 2016
North Carolina , Albemarle, NC, United States
I'll grab some pics in daylight, tomorrow. I did find a page from a Schwinn catalog that identified my rims as S2's. (Dual knurls, and .120-gauge spokes). Here's a few of the front rim. View attachment 721687 View attachment 721688 View attachment 721688 View attachment 721689
Might I suggest using citric acid and brass hand brushes to clean all of your chrome? You can dull the shine on chrome if you do not use the correct materials and techniques. I have tried many things mentioned on here and CA is by far the best method. It will not affect paint or decals but do not use it on aluminum.

Citric acid powder form is in the Walmart canning section. Mix in shallow plastic tub with a gallon or so of water. Brass brushes can be bought at any hardware/automotive store.
Use rubber gloves and eye protection. Rinse metal and blow off water rinse with compressed air if possible and lightly oil or polish right after cleaning.

If the rust is very deep, in crevices, etc., use a Dremyl tool with a brass brush and/or a single edge razor blade to pop off the tight rust. If the plating is gone all you can do is take those places to bare metal.

#0000 steel wool and a dab of oil is the next step up but keep in mind that steel wool, razor blades, sharp edges of aluminum foil, etc. (even brass Dremyl brushes) may scratch the chrome if using too much pressure.

GHWCT43.jpg

4zHv2yV.jpg

bikemonkey

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jun 25, 2016
North Carolina , Albemarle, NC, United States
Good tips...What is your citric acid ratio? I bought a bunch awhile back and never used it.

The wife is b.tching because she can't find the new cat box she bought. Well, I have it soaking parts!! So off to the store today to buy another.
That tub (gallon water +-) plus the full bottle of CA...it is strong but that is what you want. Let it settle after using and you can split off the top layer for reuse. I have reused some batches for a couple of months.

Kenny Middendorf

Look Ma, No Hands!
Nov 7, 2017
2003 South 4th Street, Fayetteville, IL, United States
Hi, Folks. I've ridden Schwinns since I was a little kid, but I never bothered to learn any of the details about their parts, or the differences between models. Now, I'm wanting to rebuild the 1980 Cruiser that's been in my backyard since I dragged it out of the desert five years ago, and I'm baffled. Long story short, I'm wanting to replace the stem, headset, crankset, chain, front axle, and rims, but want to make sure I'm getting correct parts. The rims are heavy gauge chromed steel, with 36 heavy-gauge spokes, and aluminum hubs. Unfortunately, I think the rims are too badly rusted to be salvaged, but I'd like to keep the same style of hubs. Any help you can offer for a source, other than ebay, would be appreciated.
welcome , cool project , you'll be amazed at the knowledge here and the willingness to help . enjoy your bike !

pdmccool

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 8, 2017
Question for the group: What's the consensus on replacing wheels on an older bike with new ones? Debating if it's worth it to spend $90 on a complete, but used, S2 front wheel, or just spend $100 on new wheels for front and rear. Thoughts?

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
Question for the group: What's the consensus on replacing wheels on an older bike with new ones? Debating if it's worth it to spend $90 on a complete, but used, S2 front wheel, or just spend $100 on new wheels for front and rear. Thoughts?
It depends on your goal. If you want to maintain the integrity and originality of the bike then replace with correct parts which will also maintain its value. If you don't care about originality or its a bike only worth a few hundred or less then do what's economical. V/r Shawn

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture