When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm A Newbie, With SO Many Questions

-

pdmccool

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi, Folks. I've ridden Schwinns since I was a little kid, but I never bothered to learn any of the details about their parts, or the differences between models. Now, I'm wanting to rebuild the 1980 Cruiser that's been in my backyard since I dragged it out of the desert five years ago, and I'm baffled. Long story short, I'm wanting to replace the stem, headset, crankset, chain, front axle, and rims, but want to make sure I'm getting correct parts. The rims are heavy gauge chromed steel, with 36 heavy-gauge spokes, and aluminum hubs. Unfortunately, I think the rims are too badly rusted to be salvaged, but I'd like to keep the same style of hubs. Any help you can offer for a source, other than ebay, would be appreciated.

Hi welcome to the Cabe. Not my area of expertise but pretty sure someone will chime in soon with some help. Post a pic of the bike if you can. Welcome again.

I'll grab some pics in daylight, tomorrow. I did find a page from a Schwinn catalog that identified my rims as S2's. (Dual knurls, and .120-gauge spokes). Here's a few of the front rim.
1512802370227316544325.jpg
1512802415261542300319.jpg
1512802415261542300319.jpg
151280243607723231837.jpg

I've cleaned up worse looking rims then that with Evaporust. Give that a try first. Then post ads in the wanted section. I'm sure you will get flooded with parts!
I agree with the others, they will clean up. Welcome to the CABE.
Mike
Thanks, Mike. I feel like I'm catching on pretty fast to what it is I'm needing for this bike, and the CABE has been the best resource I've found. I have a lot of experience in automotive restoration, and can usually figure things out pretty well, but I was spoiled as a kid because we had five Schwinn stores within 20 miles of our house, so not being able to find the parts I need is frustrating.

Usually the chrome is pretty good on components and need a little "love" to bring them back. Post a few pics of the stuff you are working on, and we will give you an idea if its worth it or not.

One more odd question, what's the best way to reproduce the "arrowhead" pinstripes on the forks? As soon as I can get the kickstand out of my frame, I'll be taking it in for powder coating, and I'll want to add them back after the new paint is done.

Back