When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm A Newbie, With SO Many Questions

-
Is your front hub cracked? And your looking for a hub, not just a front axle as mentioned in the first post?

151280243607723231837-jpg.jpg

Welcome to the Cabe...You came to the right place to learn about bikes.There are some pretty smart Schwinners on the Cabe. I ,not being one of them.lol

I'll grab some pics in daylight, tomorrow. I did find a page from a Schwinn catalog that identified my rims as S2's. (Dual knurls, and .120-gauge spokes). Here's a few of the front rim.View attachment 721687 View attachment 721688 View attachment 721688 View attachment 721689

Might I suggest using citric acid and brass hand brushes to clean all of your chrome? You can dull the shine on chrome if you do not use the correct materials and techniques. I have tried many things mentioned on here and CA is by far the best method. It will not affect paint or decals but do not use it on aluminum.

Citric acid powder form is in the Walmart canning section. Mix in shallow plastic tub with a gallon or so of water. Brass brushes can be bought at any hardware/automotive store.
Use rubber gloves and eye protection. Rinse metal and blow off water rinse with compressed air if possible and lightly oil or polish right after cleaning.

If the rust is very deep, in crevices, etc., use a Dremyl tool with a brass brush and/or a single edge razor blade to pop off the tight rust. If the plating is gone all you can do is take those places to bare metal.

#0000 steel wool and a dab of oil is the next step up but keep in mind that steel wool, razor blades, sharp edges of aluminum foil, etc. (even brass Dremyl brushes) may scratch the chrome if using too much pressure.

GHWCT43.jpg

4zHv2yV.jpg

Good tips...What is your citric acid ratio? I bought a bunch awhile back and never used it.

The wife is b.tching because she can't find the new cat box she bought. Well, I have it soaking parts!! So off to the store today to buy another.

Good tips...What is your citric acid ratio? I bought a bunch awhile back and never used it.

The wife is b.tching because she can't find the new cat box she bought. Well, I have it soaking parts!! So off to the store today to buy another.
That tub (gallon water +-) plus the full bottle of CA...it is strong but that is what you want. Let it settle after using and you can split off the top layer for reuse. I have reused some batches for a couple of months.

Hi, Folks. I've ridden Schwinns since I was a little kid, but I never bothered to learn any of the details about their parts, or the differences between models. Now, I'm wanting to rebuild the 1980 Cruiser that's been in my backyard since I dragged it out of the desert five years ago, and I'm baffled. Long story short, I'm wanting to replace the stem, headset, crankset, chain, front axle, and rims, but want to make sure I'm getting correct parts. The rims are heavy gauge chromed steel, with 36 heavy-gauge spokes, and aluminum hubs. Unfortunately, I think the rims are too badly rusted to be salvaged, but I'd like to keep the same style of hubs. Any help you can offer for a source, other than ebay, would be appreciated.
welcome , cool project , you'll be amazed at the knowledge here and the willingness to help . enjoy your bike !

Question for the group: What's the consensus on replacing wheels on an older bike with new ones? Debating if it's worth it to spend $90 on a complete, but used, S2 front wheel, or just spend $100 on new wheels for front and rear. Thoughts?

Question for the group: What's the consensus on replacing wheels on an older bike with new ones? Debating if it's worth it to spend $90 on a complete, but used, S2 front wheel, or just spend $100 on new wheels for front and rear. Thoughts?
It depends on your goal. If you want to maintain the integrity and originality of the bike then replace with correct parts which will also maintain its value. If you don't care about originality or its a bike only worth a few hundred or less then do what's economical. V/r Shawn

Back