When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm going older! 129 years

-

Brian R.

Wore out three sets of tires already!
My 5 year old fell asleep just as I was parking for the Auto Show, so while he catches some Zzzs, here's my latest find and my oldest bike! I think it's an 1890 Rudge Bicyclette Diamant No.2.

The crankset is loose, and it needs saddle leather, a few spokes, and tire rubber, but with those issues fixed I hope it will be a good rider. The "poor man's plating" has to go. Bare metal would be better than silver paint.

I'm excited to have a pre-diamond frame bike. I sold a pair of Solex carbs and related parts to raise some of the needed funds. I'm much happier with this machine than with some automotive paperweights that I would never use.

Info, comments, corrections and suggestions are welcome.
20190222_113546.jpg

20190222_113618.jpg

20190222_114130.jpg

20190222_114218.jpg

20190222_114230.jpg

20190222_114241.jpg

Fantastic!
Here's a photo of a Rudge Military Bicyclette being ridden over here at 'Benson' last July......
C9ECA2CB-AD32-488F-A7FA-78C26A4AC139 (2).jpg

Apologies if you've seen it before, but it's one of my favourite photos from last year.
This is a 'Boer War' era machine chasing an 1860s 'Boneshaker'.
Not too dissimilar in age to your example, but a slightly different rear section of the frame.

A great find and I agree buffed bare metal is better than spray paint chrome =also it is nice that the bike was stamped with its ID like that -no mystery at all great frame design it is a cross between my 1892 Victor and my 1891 Triumph

Should be an interesting and fun rider! Maybe you could do some parades now and then. Have a uniform made....:cool:
I'm always amazed at the people that don't ever ride their bikes, even when they have a solid bicycle with proper tiring.
With any luck, there might be traces of nickel plating under that silver paint!

nice find Brian.
great seat.
the front spring seems broken, am I seeing it right? and it seems to be missing the front part of it to attach the leather to the frame
but I am sure someone makes reproductions of those parts .... what you have, is more than most have.

the most difficult part of the restoration to get this in riding condition will be the wheels, get those done by someone with experience .... not an easy job

I don't ride my bikes from this era unfortunately. I am scared for them to crumble under my 220 lbs body weight.
Most riders that I see riding those older bikes are around 150 lbs or less, and they are wearing silly outfits to match!!!
Max

Last edited:
Back