When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm going older! 129 years

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Those silly outfits are almost compulsory! Lol. @locomotion.
The Benson Veteran Cycle Rally prefers people to wear outfits contemporaneous with the machines they are riding. Those two riders are about half a mile into a fourteen mile ride, in temperatures exceeding 32 degrees Celsius! Up and down several climbs too. The best event in the world for seeing museum quality machines being put to proper use, in my opinion.
I thought I'd never resort to wearing tweed and woollen items, but when everyone else is ridiculously dressed it somehow seems less ridiculous. Then, one day, usually late at night after a few ciders have been enjoyed, you find yourself ordering plus fours via the internet
This is how it starts, who knows where it might end!
By the way, does anyone know where I can buy a knitted, woollen, one piece racing suit?
I feel the need, lol.

It looks like you're definitely in the ballpark re. dating your lovely machine @Brian R.
Here's the House of Rudge family tree.....
wp_ss_20190304_0002 (2).png

So that's a shortish period of a few years when they were "The Rudge Cycle Co.", 1887-1894.

(image modified from the V-CC library site).

Last edited:
Thank you all. Max, I think I see what you mean about the saddle spring; it does look like it's broken. I'm told the front piece can be sourced from a donor saddle and made to fit. The bike looks fragile but it's very robust and heavy. I'm about 195lbs and I don't think it will have any trouble supporting me. I'd be nervous riding a 130 year old cross-frame though

The rims are very straight but it needs a few spokes of course.. A collector friend who knows the early bikes very well is doing some work on it now. I'll post an update later.

I agree that I'll need one of those silly outfits! I will research c.1890 photos for ideas. I'm not sure about sourcing it though; any suggestions?

Thanks for the Rudge info dnc1. As for the exact year of the bike, I've read online that this particular design was made only for about a year: 1889-1890. The serial number looks high to me so I thought 1890, but if anyone here knows these bikes and can offer insight, please let me know. Cheers.

Last edited:
Update: Here is what the bike looks like now. Thank you Rick! No more silver paint, crank bearing fixed, and new saddle leather. I rode it for the first time today. It's a bit wobbly but surprisingly comfortable. I just need to learn how to dismount properly ...and safely!
20190518_105303.jpg

20190518_105344.jpg

Last edited:
I'm told the front tire, (which is rock hard) is likely original, and the rear looks like a replacement from baby carriage tire rubber.

The saddle was done by a fellow collector here in southern Ontario. He fixed up the Rudge as a thanks for my helping him on a deal for a Coventry Swift cross-frame, so there was no cash price. I don't think he's on The CABE. If you want I could ask him if he does saddles for payment.

How about Ron Miller? He makes a replacement saddle leather for Brooks. Here is a link: http://www.bicyclepedalrubbers.com/new-pagesaddles

Last edited:
Back