When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm in favour of dumpster diving..

-
heck, 26 years ago when I was homeless on the streets of so. Cal, I did a lot of dumpster diving, food, clothing, shelter. Wasn't the best time of my life, but I learned a lot. Also got me to where I need to get to get sober and change everything. Lots of great food can be found, along with all kinds of good stuff.

No pic but 10 or so years ago,I found a 70's J C Penny touring bike, in perfect condition,with a rear disk brake in a dumpster in a driveway. Same kinda story,bike was bought for someone in their 50's for exercise,it was never used, the guy died and the family just wanted to clean out the place. I gave it to a neighborhood kid.

Found this '85 RockHopper next to a metal recycling dumpster last Saturday at the recycling center. Most of the parts were toast but the frame and fork are in nice condition. I thought it was gray when I first saw it but realized that under the thick layer of dust and grime was really nice dark blue metallic paint. Tons of braze-ons and lots of tire clearance. Could be a super fun touring or bikepacking rig.
IMG_7176.JPG

Found this '85 RockHopper next to a metal recycling dumpster last Saturday at the recycling center. Most of the parts were toast but the frame and fork are in nice condition. I thought it was gray when I first saw it but realized that under the thick layer of dust and grime was really nice dark blue metallic paint. Tons of braze-ons and lots of tire clearance. Could be a super fun touring or bikepacking rig.
View attachment 1013847
my middle son has this same bike, it is his daily rider. A really fun bike to ride.

Oh yeah, I’m a garbage picker. Got that 30 mph peripheral vision tuned to pick out minute details out of the neighborhood garbage piles as I’m cruising through. I love to repurpose things or just disassemble for materials. It’s rare for me to head straight to the hardware store when the streets got the goods and my “You never Know When You Might Need It“ box is full.

heck, 26 years ago when I was homeless on the streets of so. Cal, I did a lot of dumpster diving, food, clothing, shelter. Wasn't the best time of my life, but I learned a lot. Also got me to where I need to get to get sober and change everything. Lots of great food can be found, along with all kinds of good stuff.

Well my Friend , you have come a long way. Congratulations on your Sobriety. You have done well. Keep Strong , and inspire others ! :sunglasses:

NEVER pay for packing materials if you have a place like Pier 1 Imports by you! They throw out INSANE amounts of styrofoam sheets,pieces ,foam.bubble wrap. clear plastic bags..etc..Only drawback is ,sometimes theres broken glass in the bags..But sometimes they throw out older out of date?brand new items.They recycle the cardboard but nothing else..I have TONS of CLEAN packing material!..NOW,if I could sell some of my stuff and USE that stuff.;)
I do also get tons of stuff being given or thrown away..its really crazy sometimes what people consider "trash"...and of course..there always the opposite! :D:D:D

Back