When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm issuing a challenge!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
and as for something to criticize... how about the fact that it looks like the chain guard was made out of an old wash board?:rolleyes:

For the unknowing philistines out there, those are called "speedlines" and they coordinate beautifully with the ones on the rack. :p

I think it is BS that one person can say one is better then the other. I think it is what you like and what it took you to get = money and time. How rare it is and this is the best bike ever is BS. I think ever manufacture has a high end bike and just because that is your brand does not make it the best. Ya but what? We going to talk about welds and where and who did what? Please!.... Love the bike you have and mine is not better then yours! I love you all!:)

for those tuning in late, this is an exercise in futility, there obviously is no best bike. there are a few that were terrible but at the top there are at least one or two from each manufacturer... and it has turned into a fun filled smack-talk-fest,:o
and as for Speed lines...Doug... do they help get the wash out faster.
an example of Speed-lines done tastefully:
P1030064.JPG

Well, we went to the swap today and I must say Huffman, Shelby, Colson and CWC were well represented, there was even an Elgin Robin...but you Elgin guys may not want to claim this one, she was far from cherry, but Schwinn?....well...not so much in the Schwinn Dept.
To be fair Marty brought a 1937 Schwinn Admiral, which was a nice looking bike, and he did let me ride it, and it was fine as long as I went straight...and didn't have to pedal.... to be fair, I suppose if I was 12 years old, and weighed 85 pounds, it might have been great, but I'm not.
So we learned a few things today.
1. Schwinns can't be ridden in the rain.
2. Huffmans and Shelbys aren't afraid to get wet.
3. A 1937 Schwinn Admiral is way too small for me!
4. Marty is the only Schwinn guy willing to take up the challenge, even if he wasn't willing to get his hanging tank Autocycle wet.
5. Dave bought a "Big Tank"Huffman just to irk me!!!
6. There is an Elgin Robin in the world that I might be able to afford...it may have been run over by a tractor but it was a Robin.

On a more serious note, the Swap was great...and wet. we had a great time, and we should do this more often!

Thanks guys I had a great time.

i was just having this conversation today with my roommate. i was talking about rare old bikes, and why schwinn's still command so much money, compared to almost everything else from the same era.

here's my thoughts:

from a "picker" standpoint, people who aren't going to ride the bike, might display it, but most probably will just try to turn it around and make a buck, you can't beat a schwinn. it's well known, even to people who know nothing about bikes. it's got the heavy nostalgia factor, as they were the majority of the market when we were all growing up.

i think this is what keeps the prices of a schwinn so high. there really isn't anything special about it, and as scott pointed out, they made that horribly awful (my opinion) cantelever frame design for longer than most of us have been alive. and it's still copied today. not because it's a great design, but because it's so recognizable, and doesn't take any design skills on the part of the 20 chinese manufacturers who knock them out today.

the schwinn straight bars were very plain, as far as design's go, and schwinn liked to dress them up with fender bombs and other novelty items.

but the main factor i see is that they were easily obtainable throughout the years. they were such a big player in the industry, with their own authorized dealers and stores, anyone could go down and buy their kid a schwinn for christmas without giving it any thought. "i'll take the blue one for timmy and the red one for sally..."

i don't understand how such a common bike can still command such outrageous prices though. pre-war schwinns are an almost daily occurence in the OC and LA craigslistings. the comparison to chevy and ford doesn't hold water in that sense, because if you're looking for (most) used replacement parts for your 57 chevy, you can pick them up for next to nothing and not end up sacrificing your mortgage for a bolt stamped AS.

they were well-made bikes in the "olden days," but after the 70's boom, produced lackluster bmx bikes and crappy ten speeds. if you showed up at the dirt track with your scrambler 36/36 that weighed 50lbs, you were gonna get laughed at. at least until the guy with the Huffy and his buddy with the Team Murray showed up (sad how all 3 companies "sold out" for the department store money.)

but back to classic bikes.

i've never been a hardcore collector, and i'm definitely not the most knowledgeable, but i've had cool older bikes since my teens, mostly 'cause you need a cool beach cruiser if you live in souther california, and schwinn's weren't on my list.

i've always went for the oddball bikes to set myself apart from everyone else.

currently, i think the pre-war colson's had it all. the loop-tail rear end is beautiful, unique, and the snap tanks, the gills, the bullnose, the giant chainguards, and everything else compliment each other perfectly.

and dude, a "steer from the rear" tandem? now you can look at your girlfriend's, uh, assets, and still be the one steering the bike.

the shelby's are another awesome bike, as are the Huffman's and the elgin's.

another thing i consider, is take off all the fancy tanks, racks, chainguards, and all the bells and whistles (as most of these bikes are found anyway) and see what you have. a shelby airflow frame is still beautiful, a colson still has the looptail, and a schwinn looks like every cheap beach cruiser ever made since the 70's, and you can't tell the difference between it and a walmart huffy until you're 2 feet away. and if you tell the average tourist on the boardwalk, "hey,but it was made 70 years ago!" they'd probably tell you it's about time to buy another one. they're on sale for 79.99 at walmart...

The Pike swap was a blast! I had a VERY difficult time from wandering from my booth to look for good deals so i'm sure I missed out on some good stuff but it's probably for the best. 3 bikes that were for sale caught my eye. My best buddy has his 5 bar there, my other buddy has his Mead Ranger motorbike which I still want BTW! Funding just sucks right now. And a blue Colson blister tank bike. If anybody has his contact info Pm me please.

Yes my Speedline Airflow got completely soaked. But guess what? I can dry it off. No big deal. The horizontal spring Lobdell seat was bagged so the leather didn't get wet at all. Uh oh! Here comes the all the reponses of how crazy i am to leave an all STEEL Speedline in the rain. I ride my bikes. Sorry.

The after party with Dave, Scott and myself was an absolute BLAST! I had to wait for traffic to die down over the grapevine so what better way then enjoy some great conversation about bikes and glance out the window at my airflow getting soaked. O well. As i said, it will dry. It lives in my house, so i'm sure 1 bath won't hurt her. HaHa!

Also i'd like to thank all my friends for helping me unload my truck since I was a bit late showing up to the swap. So thanks Chris,Cliff,Dave,Mike,Tony, and a few others who I can't remember there names right now. Sorry.

Yeah, too much fun...learned stuff about Lancaster, Palmdale and Gilroy I may have to really drink to forget...good to see everyone and can't wait till next time...

Gilroy isn't bad but Palmdale and Lancaster??? O man! I hope I have a full tank when i'm driving through! HaHa! Ok Scott. Where you at?

Back