When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm issuing a challenge!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
chal·lenge
a. A call to engage in a contest, fight, or competition
b. An act or statement of defiance; a call to confrontation

View attachment 30968

Ok, I'll bite and say that the Aluminum Monark Silver Kings were far above the competition when they came out. I challenge any of those boats you call bikes to a race against a Silver King. If we were all kids on the same block, I would want to be the one with the Silver King. Not even close. I will not say that they had a superior line of bikes as you claim the Huffmans had (and I do like some of those designs). I actually dislike Flo-cycles and think they are rip offs of CCM Flyte designs with a goofy metal plate to act as some nonsensical spring leaf suspension. And the Wingbars are a little over indulgent in their deco lines that it goes against my design = function equation. I think Monark nailed it with the basic models and were far superior in their technical innovations they were able to successfully engineer. They took a basic, successful motobike frame design, lengthened it, lowered it with 24" wheels, lightened it with aluminum and streamlined the lugs with beautiful castings. They were decades ahead of the field in metallurgy and engineering.

View attachment 30964View attachment 30965View attachment 30966

So for me beauty is in the lugs of the base models. It is total form following function and for me it doesn't get better than when they meet in an eye pleasing design. The forks are like modern bladed aero forks and the fact that is a weldless design is amazing. As a brand Monark did make some nice design innovations with the 5-bar frames and the adjustable mounting handlebars that can be mounted on the cross-bar... I think those look totally rat-rod. And also the "pie crust" chain guard that was decades ahead of the ones we see even up until still today. But when those 200lb Super Deluxes were on the market in the 50's they were like the Cadillacs of the bike world. I would hate to live at the top of a hill if I had one of those beasts. So I would say that as a whole Monark didn't have a wide variety of hits but I don't think they had to... why mess with perfection. But alas, WWII came along and all the good aluminum people were probably swept into the ranks of service for a higher purpose no longer tasked with making a cool kids bike.

I only wish they made more of the Racer models... :(

Last edited:
Safety Streamline/Aerocycle, Super Streamline/Autocycle Jewel Tank, Twin-Flex/Cantilever Autocycle, Champion/Phantom, Dial-Your-Ride/Panther, Customliner/B6, Radio Bike/Corvette Jaguar Panther........ who else had that many home runs?

SCHWINN DID !!!

C'mon, Scott!! That was too easy !!! :cool:

i will agree with you, but this sounds funny,
like " Hudson the Cadillac of cars" just saying.

It did sound funny, but it's actually based on an "actual vs perceived" notion.
As in: Fords up to say 1965 were really the staple vehicle of our lives, but duing the mid '60's there were more "visual Chevrolets" that Chevys ended up being perceived as Americas "Love". ...does that make sense???? bri.

Ok baby-boomers... Didn't Schwinn kind of brain-wash us kids into thinking they "Were the Best"? Their advertizing department was un-parralled! Think about it...
Schwinns were seen with/on: Captain Kangaroo, The BOZO Show, cerial boxes, inside and backs of our favorite comic books! "You got a ball in bucket number 6" you win a brand spanking new Schwinn Typhoon!, or 3 Speed Corvette! They were in windows and displays at most of the toy stores. They were freak'n EVERYWHERE! No other brands marketing came close. JMHO. A side note: BICYCLES~ before WW2, marketing target= Adults. Post WW2 target= Youth.

Last edited:
Safety Streamline/Aerocycle, Super Streamline/Autocycle Jewel Tank, Twin-Flex/(1.Cantilever Autocycle), Champion/(2.Phantom), Dial-Your-Ride/(3.Panther), Customliner/(4.B6), Radio Bike/(5.6.7....Corvette Jaguar Panther)........ who else had that many home runs?

SCHWINN DID !!!

C'mon, Scott!! That was too easy !!! :cool:
not to be too picky but you have about 7 cantilever Schwinns in there. for us non Schwinn guys that's like me saying Huffman made red ones and blue ones and black ones, and green ones. swap out a few canti's for something novel and ground breaking. maybe something like the first balloon tire bike ever? I'll give you that as ground breaking but it still isn't as awe inspiring as a Bluebird or SS Huffman. I'll give you one better, the Stingray, certainly has a cult following.

Last edited:
Coca-Cola classic, diet coke, caffiene free diet coke, coke zero, vanilla coke, black cherry coke, they are all just COKE, nothing special, just another Coke product

Yeah,

But if you go to the local 7/11 and fill up a cup from the generic dispenser, you still call it a Coke.

It doesn't mean that it is better or worse, it is just the nomeclature that people use to identify that type of product.

If you have a product that becomes so familiar, that people use your brand name to identify the type of product, then you have won the battle. Hands down.

If Coke = Bike, then we all like different flavors of the same basic drink. If there was only one flavor, we would all be riding/collecting a Schwinn. That's what makes the CABE great! We can come here and get what ever flavor we want and sometimes try something new!

Joe

When I have a cola, I ask for a Pepsi. But during a taste test of the three, I picked RC (Royal Crown), it just plain tastes better.
Just say'n....

Back