When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Looking For Information About "The Monkees" Unicycles

-
Could very well be a molded plastic overlay on top of a fabbed wheel. So bicycle spokes did not show could be a rim with welded in rods under the "Mag". Never underestimate what Hollywood builders could throw together when Hollywood money was involved.

The "mag" wheel on this thing looks like it may be a cast aluminum piece, very expensive to mass produce. It was probably too cost prohibitive to mass produce. The end product most likely would have cost as much as a Bronco or Stallion bicycle, too much money for something that would end up collecting dust in the corner of a garage!

I have to agree with cast piece, in the patents description says, "molded" but if you ever seen a Sear's Screamer 2 Mag rear Wheel assembly, it is probably fastened in that fashion, from the inside of rim. Also states a pneumatic tire. Keep in mind this is before any "Mag" wheel was ever produced such as the Webco Mag Wheel for George Barris's Stelber / Iverson bicycles.
You probably would have seen something such as this Unicycle sell at FAO Schwarz, in the high-end specialty toy department.

More pics of Monkees on unicycles and a monkey on a bicycle.
After looking at those pictures, it appears that Peter Tork's Unicycle had a longer seat.
Here's the best two close-up photo's of the unicycle...

adju.jpg

adju1.jpg

Davy Jone's was Red
Peter Tork's was Violet
Mike Nesmith's was Lime
Mickey Dolenz's was Gold

Last edited:
IDK but, this seems to be the first episode or only, they appeared in and in it, on a shelf, it looks like a Mattel Chatty Cathy doll. With the Patent applied by them, probably the place to go like, Email em.

Monkee vs Machine” (Season 1, Episode 3)

I checked out the Sears Christmas catalogs for 1968-69-70 and didn't see anything other than the regular unicycles. Sears usually had all the new crazy items when I was a kid, so I thought they for sure would be in their catalogs.
Yeah. Here's a Sears, no tomato but similarity that looks like inserted next to some big spokes, plastic Mag wheel accessory or what? Candy Paint too.

1969-Sears-Screamer-Vintage-banana-seat-bikes.jpg

Yeah. Here's a Sears, no tomato but similarity that looks like inserted next to some big spokes, plastic Mag wheel accessory or what? Candy Paint too.

View attachment 1565318
I had one of these, as a kid, and the "mag" wheel was a cast aluminum piece. It was riveted at the five contact points to a Murray steel rim. The bike looked cool and I loved it until the wheel loosened up with use. This caused the aluminum spokes to flex against the steel rim, creating a very loud squeaking sound with every revolution of the wheel. It drove me crazy, so I sold the Screamer and bought the cheapest polo bike Sears had, a candy apple red Huffy Dragster with white painted rims. It was the best wheelie bike in the world. I could ride wheelies for blocks, holding on to the seat and spinning the front wheel. Good times!

The mag wheel looks to be one off of a huffy rail, very rare and hard to find, ive had a couple
The Huffy Rail mag is close but featured six lugs, and the Monkees version has a five lug pattern. Those mag wheel Rails are rare. The only one I've seen were pictures of an n.o.s. bike, belonging to a collector on the east coast.

The Huffy Rail mag is close but featured six lugs, and the Monkees version has a five lug pattern. Those mag wheel Rails are rare. The only one I've seen were pictures of an n.o.s. bike, belonging to a collector on the east coast.

Back