When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm not in favor of rat bikes!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

baronvoncatania

Finally riding a big boys bike
Sorry! I know i'm going to raise some hackels, But I have to ask, why would you want what was a beautiful piece of americana balloon tire bike and make it into something it never was? NO OFFENSIVE! but wouldn't it be better to return it to it's original glory? and preserve it's history?

I understand it take a LOT of money to do it right, but can't you just do the minimun to preserve it until you, or someone else can restore it properly?

jim c.

In defense of ratrodders..

I have to second the post that said that most ratrodders work with bikes no one else would even look twice at. Very few will cut up a true collectors item but yes I have seen one or two do it. The majority though do take bikes that would go to the scrap heap and give them new life again and I would much rather see an old bicycle being ridden and enjoyed (as it was meant to be) than scrapped.
That being said, I find it just as sad to see a huge collection of bicycles become just that and nothing more. I understand about being a collector, though I see myself more of an enthusiast. When I see row upon row of bicycles stacked next to each other for me they lose their individual specialness and become just an aquisition. Bicycles for me are a functional form of art and I love speculating about the previous owners and all the adventures and joy they had in the years past on their beloved two-wheeled wonders.
This is not meant to offend anyone...it's just my opinion :)

Last edited:
Since I posted a rat I suppose I feel obligated to respond. First lets be clear that there is a difference between a 'rat' and a 'custom' although the lines can become blurred. My rat Phantom, for example, has not been customized in any way that alters any of the original parts i.e. cut, welded, bent, moulded, etc... . As a matter of fact if you read my post you will see that I intend to restore this bike as a red Phantom. I have all the parts except for the seat. This is a '51 so it takes the earlier (harder to find) seat. I'd be happy to jump right on this if you would please just send the seat! Seriously if you look at a lot of the rat bikes they are just missing some of the pricey parts and have not been ruined. I just wanted to have some fun with it in the mean time. BTW I rode it around town yesterday and everywhere I went people thought it was a cool bike. Relax and enjoy the hobby--that's why there's more than one flavor of ice cream--not everyone likes the same 'ol thing! v/r Shawn
Sorry! I know i'm going to raise some hackels, But I have to ask, why would you want what was a beautiful piece of americana balloon tire bike and make it into something it never was? NO OFFENSIVE! but wouldn't it be better to return it to it's original glory? and preserve it's history?

I understand it take a LOT of money to do it right, but can't you just do the minimun to preserve it until you, or someone else can restore it properly?

jim c.

Thanks for the info

Since I posted a rat I suppose I feel obligated to respond. First lets be clear that there is a difference between a 'rat' and a 'custom' although the lines can become blurred. My rat Phantom, for example, has not been customized in any way that alters any of the original parts i.e. cut, welded, bent, moulded, etc... . As a matter of fact if you read my post you will see that I intend to restore this bike as a red Phantom. I have all the parts except for the seat. This is a '51 so it takes the earlier (harder to find) seat. I'd be happy to jump right on this if you would please just send the seat! Seriously if you look at a lot of the rat bikes they are just missing some of the pricey parts and have not been ruined. I just wanted to have some fun with it in the mean time. BTW I rode it around town yesterday and everywhere I went people thought it was a cool bike. Relax and enjoy the hobby--that's why there's more than one flavor of ice cream--not everyone likes the same 'ol thing! v/r Shawn

Thanks for explaining it to me. Now I get it. Like I said no offense.

Rats," That Bike Looks Like Mine!"

Truthfuly We was all ratbikers when we started into this hobby, Remember some of our first projects? Not so correct huh? We learned on our own, some of us just building, mixing parts, not realy caring if it was correct but we just wanted to ride it! Now we know about what is right and how to correctly restore a bike. "Thanks CABE!" Some of us now perfecting our painting skills, and mechanical skills and are now up to a challenge. Now to have something no one else has, Your own kustom with your own reflection of your love and passion of this hobby. The price of that bike "Priceless"

Rat bike

Is the lazy way out of restoring a bike. Personally I'm sick of them and the whole 'rat' mentality. But as long as they're doing it to houspainted bike, or bikes that were partially complete or rust buckets to start with, makes it a little easier to stomach. Part of Americas new direction-- lowest common denomiinator thug culture of what the media tells the gullible is 'cool'. The result? Armies of mindless followers opting for the same Bling status symbol of mediocrity. I will however say that I've seen some creative work in the rat realm, but the majority is the usual predictable vintage satin black frame with mixed make vintage parts and then the made in China bling 'add-on' ingredients to top it all off. Some people will go the extra yards to do something exceptional. Any one see Dawalts shaftie? Pretty remarkable. But that's a very small percentage of the rat custom scene... most are pretty >ick< ghetto!

So I guess Bob doesn't care for my bike! Because I am going to restore this I didn't want to spend countless hours on metal work and glass smooth paint. Iam also a motorcycle guy (car guy too) and always loved the looks of the early board track racers such as the side-valve Harleys, Indians, and of course the Merkel! This is nothing but a diversion for me and the majority of my collection is original, unrestored bikes including four Phantoms. I'm something of an eclectic so I like to have a little diversity. If ya ain't having fun why do it? v/r Shawn

Well. I must say it is a shame to not restore some of the Vintage beauties. But if you did them all you would go broke. In my past experiences at swap meets and shows and even on the bike trail or just tooling around the town. I have had more people comment on my rat bike then any other bike. I have some pretty sweet rides to.

real rat bike.JPG

Both of my customs are just that because I got one of them as a frame only. The other came as a frankenstein bike with random parts. Neither of these bikes were in any way going to be restored due to cost.

My custom is just that. It's actually built as a bike that some kid might have built it back in the 50's replacing parts as needed. Same thing my dad did when he was a kid. Just take random parts and build something that rolls.

Most of us custom guys do also have a love of vintage/original stuff. Eventually I plan on having my Shelby complete with correct parts. Just going to take a while since I'm broke.

Back