I'm not in favor of rat bikes!

This ad disappears when logged in

37fleetwood

Riding a '37 Fleetwood
May 22, 2006
Lancaster, Ca.
If it wasn't for ratting we wouldn't have mountain bikes .. Back in the late 70's a guy named Gary Fisher and his bros took old Schwinn prewar straight bar frames because of the strength and craftmanship and turned them into mountain bikes it's true look
It up! same with the stingrays became BMX bikes !! So rat rod = progress and personality I'm a bike collector and a purist I don't restore I only buy and find original parts for my projects prewar Schwinn mainly !!! but there's nothing wrong with progression and expression that's why we have bikes to begin with !!! Just please don't take a nice original paint barn find or what ever and rat it out if it's beyond saving go ahead do what ya want or sell
What ya don't like so guys like me pay too much money for rusty gold otherwise keep on peddling !!!! More power to ya !!!!

Cruising my Prewar Schwinn
I think you'll find it was as much about cheap and plentiful as it was about strength and craftsmanship... more accurate would be "Back in the late 70's a guy named Gary Fisher and his bros took old Schwinn prewar straight bar frames because they were cheap and plentiful and they were strong enough to take the beatings given them." other frames were used on the early clunkers, the Schwinn Straight bar was so commonly used because they were everywhere.

Murph68

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 23, 2013
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Perfect.....the barbed wire bat sealed it for me!....sweet build......gotta figure out how to mount one of those on my dogma 65.1 for road riding this year!...haha......do they make carbon mounts for somethin like that?

Jamie

Mungthetard

Finally riding a big boys bike
Aug 4, 2013
Figured I better post my princess ratrod b4 and after pics

From sheik to I don't even wanna tell you about what I had to cut chop add and paint to make this little princess in to what was a complete over haul but I'm happy with her

Smoopy's

Sep 19, 2011
Woodbury, United States
www.smoopysbicycles.com
Perfect.....the barbed wire bat sealed it for me!....sweet build......gotta figure out how to mount one of those on my dogma 65.1 for road riding this year!...haha......do they make carbon mounts for somethin like that?

Jamie
LOL..thanks bud..we are working on perfecting a newer version of the old Adirondack bat holder..won't be in carbon though..:p

HIGGINSFOREVER

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Nov 23, 2008
Cape May N.J. area
Custom,Rat Rod,i don't know if that is what I start out to build.I just look at all these parts laying around,Frames,fenders, bars,wheels some rattle can paint and just like that I have a bike.

Tin machine

Jun 4, 2011
Fairfield ca
well my 2 cents on rats

what I Have noticed on the west coast is !! that most bikes you would consider buying are bikes that are missing fenders racks chain guards and alot for some reason are missing head badges , I said that to say this ? anytime I Can preserve a bike to original riding patinaed state do that !! original is always more valuable and tells the history and story of that bike !! but if life gives you lemons make lemonade some times all you can do is build a Rat rod bike ...and in some ereas its a Roman thing to do ...2 cents not worth much !!!

DJ Bill

Oct 4, 2013
what I Have noticed on the west coast is !! that most bikes you would consider buying are bikes that are missing fenders racks chain guards and alot for some reason are missing head badges !
That's where all those eBay goodies come from! If someone wasn't parting out bikes there wouldn't be stripped frames lying around to make rats from.. (My Roadmaster project, while hopefully prettier than an average rat bike, started out life with me that way. )

I look at the guys on eBay with rows of chainguards and wonder... what happened to the rest of those bikes..??You can't tell me the bike shops sold the owners of those bikes new chainguards and just tossed the old ones in a pile for someone to discover twenty years down the road.....I'm thinking more like they took the junkers in on slow days and stripped the saleable and easliy removed parts off them before tossing the rest...

And the fender lights or horns.........always disappear. It amazes me to see them still on a barn find. They never worked for long anyhow. Heck the first thing I did when I got a new bike that had wheel reflectors in the 70's was take them off and hang them on the wall in the garage...( I thought I was saving weight on my Schwinn...:rolleyes:)

It is inevitable that somewhere, after all the goodies have been stripped off and sold, there is a stripped frame awaiting its fate as a rat.

ThegoodThebad&Therusty

I live for the CABE
Feb 18, 2012
In exile
I've been thinking about this bike that Smoopy's posted up thread ~
6be4ed22dd6048ac96f88ae12a569d9d_zps4f8c-1.jpg

How did the DNA for a build like that end up in Tennessee ? It oozes Miami, Cuba or even Chula Vista So. Cal. Total Cuban/Dominican/TJ influences going on there.

Well at any rate, I dig it and I think it rates it's own theme song, like to hear it ? - here it goes ~

[video=youtube;YjAvQ22_05I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjAvQ22_05I[/video]

:cool:

pap

Last edited:

mazdaflyer

Feb 16, 2010
Mid-West
As previously stated bikes in original condition may be best left as is or at most cleaned. Complete restorations are nice if you have the talent and means to do one. For some the rat or custom path satisfies the need to be creative. To me doing a rat rod provides an avenue to repurpose objects not necessarily bike related.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390760659.113558.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390760692.431468.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390760733.392386.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390760800.659481.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390760659.113558.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390760692.431468.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390760733.392386.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390760800.659481.jpg

Smoopy's

Sep 19, 2011
Woodbury, United States
www.smoopysbicycles.com
I've been thinking about this bike that Smoopy's posted up thread ~

How did the DNA for a build like that end up in Tennessee ? It oozes Miami, Cuba or even Chula Vista So. Cal. Total Cuban/Dominican/TJ influences going on there.

Well at any rate, I dig it and I think it rates it's own theme song, like to hear it ? - here it goes ~

:cool:

pap
thanks for the comps bud and Tuco likes his new theme song..:D

tailhole

I live for the CABE
Dec 26, 2010
Lakewood, CO
I think you'll find it was as much about cheap and plentiful as it was about strength and craftsmanship... more accurate would be "Back in the late 70's a guy named Gary Fisher and his bros took old Schwinn prewar straight bar frames because they were cheap and plentiful and they were strong enough to take the beatings given them." other frames were used on the early clunkers, the Schwinn Straight bar was so commonly used because they were everywhere.
Totally agree with your tweak of wording, but also about the ratting led to mtn bikes. Same thing with race cars and just about anything else, take a stock product, strip and modify to suit the task you assign it.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
$6.99
eBay Auction Picture
$85.00
eBay Auction Picture
$5.95
eBay Auction Picture
$12.00
eBay Auction Picture
$99.00
eBay Auction Picture