When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm not in favor of rat bikes!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This bike sounds really nice! Got any pics?
yep. Technically a rat.
SANY0004.jpg
View attachment 51900 But so is this http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/ozzmonaut/Bike%20stuff/?action=view&current=SANY0411Small.jpg

But I also see what people mean by stating the difference between custom and rat. I guess both bikes above could fit into either category. The schwinn was built from whatever I could afford, and built to ride. But with the decent paint job and chrome it could be called custom. The other bike took a ton of time and effort to build. It was cheap but is more show than go. But a smaller front sprocket helps offset the weight of the bike. I wouldn't want to ride it more than a few miles though. While it looks ratty, it is probably more of a custom. Can we start a new category just called "Deathtraps"?

Im glad I found this thread!

This is my first time visiting this site in about 8 months. I became a member over at RatRodBikes.com last July and I left this site in the dust which I kinda feel bad about :(. I really like the community over there and it is fun to see everyone's different styles and design. This site I realized would break my bank. My Buildoff bike features a DX frame that was very far gone. many of you, i'm sure would have just tossed it in the scrap.

I have much more to say, but im sure it has already been said on the last 6 1/2 pages. we ratrodders dont destroy history, we simply regenerate it with our own personality. personally, all my bikes were headed to the metal pile. dont go attacking US for ruining history.

Radical Rat Rod

For the past month I’ve been working on a build over on the Rat-Rod site. And I must say, the participation there has given me a new understanding and perspective of the Rat Rod community and their camaraderie.

Unlike the CABE forum which is entrenched in the preservation and the restoration of classic bicycles. The Rat Rod forum is dedicated to builders and creative minded folks that thrive in a world of imagination; modification, and crafting. These guys are the embodiment of experimentation and the “what if” school of thinking…what if I try this” or “what if I do this?” Their mantra is “ I’ve got nothing to lose! ” Plus they're extremely supportive of each other’s vision, no matter how big or small the idea…all negativity is checked at the door.

Their community reminds me much of the 1800’s Impressionist artists, whose works were viewed as unacceptable, and radical for violating the rules of academic painting by the pretentious and conservative Académie des Beaux-Arts Salon. These early Impressionists and their adherents argued there was a different way of seeing things, and they sought out new styles and techniques that was outside of traditions!

“Outside of the box thinking” was the inspiration for my build…If you'd like you can follow my progress at: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=57039

Parts that were used:
Frame & Tank: 1940’s CWC Hawthorne
Front suspension fork: 1960’s Sears Spaceliner
Crank arm: 1930’s Monark Dogleg
Sprocket: 1900’s Pierce
Headlight: 1930’s Delta Car Spotlight
Handlebars: 1900’s Race Bars
Stem: 1930’s Iver Johnson
Pedals: 1900's Torrington Rat Trap
Seat: 1930’s Troxel pan
Rims: 1960’s Murrays with New Departure hubs & brake
Tires: Carlisle Darts

Mofo 1.jpg

Mofo 5.jpg

Mofo 3.jpg

Mofo 2.jpg

Rollin' Art Baby!

Love the vision and execution. The three kidney bean sprocket looks right at home on this build!

Little of this and a little of that!

VOILA!

For the past month I’ve been working on a build over on the Rat-Rod site. And I must say, the participation there has given me a new understanding and perspective of the Rat Rod community and their camaraderie.

Unlike the CABE forum which is entrenched in the preservation and the restoration of classic bicycles. The Rat Rod forum is dedicated to builders and creative minded folks that thrive in a world of imagination; modification, and crafting. These guys are the embodiment of experimentation and the “what if” school of thinking…what if I try this” or “what if I do this?” Their mantra is “ I’ve got nothing to lose! ” Plus they're extremely supportive of each other’s vision, no matter how big or small the idea…all negativity is checked at the door.

Their community reminds me much of the 1800’s Impressionist artists, whose works were viewed as unacceptable, and radical for violating the rules of academic painting by the pretentious and conservative Académie des Beaux-Arts Salon. These early Impressionists and their adherents argued there was a different way of seeing things, and they sought out new styles and techniques that was outside of traditions!

“Outside of the box thinking” was the inspiration for my build…If you'd like you can follow my progress at: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=57039

Really cool job, Man - I especially like the tribal paint and your willingness to share details of your technique.

Rollin' Art Baby!

Love the vision and execution. The three kidney bean sprocket looks right at home on this build!

Little of this and a little of that!

VOILA!
Really cool job, Man - I especially like the tribal paint and your willingness to share details of your technique.
Thanks guys, I’m humbled by your appreciation…it was a fun project! I purchased the bare frame sans the tank a few months ago from a member here on the CABE. I initially thought I would restore it, but then changed my mind and felt it was a perfect candidate for the RRB build-off. Besides I can always convert it to it’s original appearance if I’d want to ;)

From my experience, having as many of the old bikes now as I do, many of them original parts can't be found. I personally prefer to customize my bikes keeping them mostly era correct, not so much rat them. I've never been one that likes anything stock or original though all the same, being an oldschool hotrodder, the same applies to bikes for me. Why wouldn't you want to take something that looks like this,...
62americaninitsformergl-1.jpg

And make it look like this,...
62custom2-1.jpg

62custom-1.jpg

Urethane base coat clear coat, 100 times better quality then the old enamel paint that came on these bikes. The original wheels and fenders were rusted beyond use. If you can't put the bike back all original with the original parts that came on that specific bike, why bother.

Last edited:
I have original bikes, restored bikes, custom bikes and have built rat bikes. I evaluate every bike I get my hands on and make a decision based on the bike's condition, worth before/after restoration, etc. Some I decide to not bother with and just sell. It just depends on the bike. I guess I don't get the big deal either way.

As far as posting rat bikes, here is a before/after of a '51 Higgins I found with house paint and wheels that were shot.

higgins1-1.jpg

black18-1.jpg

black20-1.jpg

Rat, Custom, Restored or Original???

Hello CABE members,

I consider myself more of a rat rodder, but also equal parts restorer and custom bike builder. I totally agree with all sides here and it is sometimes a shame to take a balloon classic and do some of the stuff that is done to them. It is also a shame to let sit, bikes that need to be saved (rat or restored). End of the day, I try to do both. Some bikes are meant to stay original like my 1952 Cycle Truck with original paint:

DSCN3445-1.jpg

Or this 1927 Mead Ranger I am happy with just the way it is, but still looking for the original trusses, kickstand, light and grips:

DSCN3519-1.jpg

Or this 1941 Colson redo because I bought it with paint brush paint:

DSC00329-1.jpg

Or a full blown custom JC Higgins that I did not weld or modify, but still have a total custom look and feel without damaging the original bike in any way. To me, my Higgins is a total Rat Rod and I love it:

DSCN41521-1.jpg

I think at the end of the day, it is variety that makes all of us simply love bikes. Rat Rod, Classic or weekend warrior, bikes keep the world going around. That and the railroad system, LOL.

Back