When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm not in favor of rat bikes!

-
If it wasn't for ratting we wouldn't have mountain bikes .. Back in the late 70's a guy named Gary Fisher and his bros took old Schwinn prewar straight bar frames because of the strength and craftmanship and turned them into mountain bikes it's true look
It up! same with the stingrays became BMX bikes !! So rat rod = progress and personality I'm a bike collector and a purist I don't restore I only buy and find original parts for my projects prewar Schwinn mainly !!! but there's nothing wrong with progression and expression that's why we have bikes to begin with !!! Just please don't take a nice original paint barn find or what ever and rat it out if it's beyond saving go ahead do what ya want or sell
What ya don't like so guys like me pay too much money for rusty gold otherwise keep on peddling !!!! More power to ya !!!!

Cruising my Prewar Schwinn

I think you'll find it was as much about cheap and plentiful as it was about strength and craftsmanship... more accurate would be "Back in the late 70's a guy named Gary Fisher and his bros took old Schwinn prewar straight bar frames because they were cheap and plentiful and they were strong enough to take the beatings given them." other frames were used on the early clunkers, the Schwinn Straight bar was so commonly used because they were everywhere.

yeah, who would want a rusty piece of trash like this anyway..I guess it was because it was fun to build and a change from the norm..this is mine:

6be4ed22dd6048ac96f88ae12a569d9d_zps4f8c-1.jpg

c24f7a39218140bc9f4b6b4d32478236_zps9052-1.jpg

ce2f44ee976f4e718fc4ae97b1b0ae1c_zps7f25-1.jpg

34cec61a4b454569b0d9d35ab91cd61c_zps42a2-1.jpg

Perfect.....the barbed wire bat sealed it for me!....sweet build......gotta figure out how to mount one of those on my dogma 65.1 for road riding this year!...haha......do they make carbon mounts for somethin like that?

Jamie

Figured I better post my princess ratrod b4 and after pics

From sheik to I don't even wanna tell you about what I had to cut chop add and paint to make this little princess in to what was a complete over haul but I'm happy with her

Perfect.....the barbed wire bat sealed it for me!....sweet build......gotta figure out how to mount one of those on my dogma 65.1 for road riding this year!...haha......do they make carbon mounts for somethin like that?

Jamie

LOL..thanks bud..we are working on perfecting a newer version of the old Adirondack bat holder..won't be in carbon though..:p

Custom,Rat Rod,i don't know if that is what I start out to build.I just look at all these parts laying around,Frames,fenders, bars,wheels some rattle can paint and just like that I have a bike.

well my 2 cents on rats

what I Have noticed on the west coast is !! that most bikes you would consider buying are bikes that are missing fenders racks chain guards and alot for some reason are missing head badges , I said that to say this ? anytime I Can preserve a bike to original riding patinaed state do that !! original is always more valuable and tells the history and story of that bike !! but if life gives you lemons make lemonade some times all you can do is build a Rat rod bike ...and in some ereas its a Roman thing to do ...2 cents not worth much !!!

Back