When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm not in favor of rat bikes!

-
I just finished looking through all 38 pages of the Drag King Raceliner thread over at the Rat Rod Build off #9.
If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a huge favor and check it out.
Most of these tend to be total rats or total customs, with not much room in between.
This one really captures the essence of what the bike was, and what the bike has become, from its original theme concept through its evolution.
Absolutely, outstanding!

Rat Rod Build Off #9

You are so right about RMan's Drag King build. It was obvious to me that his was going to be the top build early on in the Build Off. His execution and detail work are superb.

There are some incredible builds this year. You can see a finished gallery of them here - http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...ial-rrb-build-off-9-finished-bike-list.85067/

WP_20140727_19_30_58_Pro_zps5b0fc9a9-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok all of you hibernating rat rod members who’ve been asleep for the last 4 months! The Rat Rod Build Off 9 has finished and it’s time to reengage and cast your vote. This year the talent pool was amazing; check ‘em out, http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...ial-rrb-build-off-9-finished-bike-list.85067/ Take a minute and Vote if you haven’t already.

Wow-Wee-Wow-Wow .... an amazing selection of machines built
thru creativity and craftsmanship - all.

Enigma ... #28 is my choice.

In a design-league of it's own, while displaying attention to detail, not only
in the manner of fabrication ... but also being very respectful to a classic frame -
everything about the machine is built to 'bolt-on' ... and 'bolt-off' ... should
the bicycle ever want to revert to it's original, mid-30's identity.

Very, Very NICE, Carlton (fordsnake) !!!!!!!!!!

.......................... patric cafaro

post script ... I spent some time on that RatRod site tryin' to figure how to
place a vote, and even became a member.

Looked everywhere but in the correct area. If I figure out how to vote .. I will.

If anyone here knows how to cast a vote at that RatRod site ... let us know, please. THANKS !!!!

The following are a few of the fotos posted at that RatRod site for Entry #28 ... Enigma

E-1-a.jpg

E-10.jpg

E-12.jpg

E-13.jpg

E-6.jpg

E-22.jpg

E-24.jpg

=====================
=====================

What is considered a "rat" bike? The reason I ask is this. I'm working on motorizing a 1956 Roadmaster boys' frame. Now, I'm building from a completely care frame, no original parts I know of, save possibly the French seat post and headset bearing cups, though not sure at all. I'm using parts that I want to use, including building my own wheels. I am painting the frame black, not because everyone else does, but because it's my favorite color. The gas tank and the cable sheaths will be orange. But when I think of a rat, I think of a bike that is purposefully made to look crappy. And that's not an insult to rat bikes or those who build them, I mean that in the most artistic way possible. There is a lot of artistic media that is "purposefully crappy". All I'm saying is, I'm building my bike to look nice, it might even be a show piece. I'm not restoring the bike to any sort of original condition, but I'm trying to make it as nice as possible and with this being a motorized vehicle, my focus is primarily on functionality. So where does everyone draw the line?

To me

What is considered a "rat" bike? ... But when I think of a rat, I think of a bike that is purposefully made to look crappy. And that's not an insult to rat bikes or those who build them, I mean that in the most artistic way possible. There is a lot of artistic media that is "purposefully crappy". All I'm saying is, I'm building my bike to look nice, it might even be a show piece. I'm not restoring the bike to any sort of original condition, but I'm trying to make it as nice as possible and with this being a motorized vehicle, my focus is primarily on functionality. So where does everyone draw the line?

Your bike would be full on custom. Ratrods and bikes are anything but started as making it look like the way a person of limited means
would have done it back in the day or mimicing a boardtrack racer- they were rough and ready- street rods were super expesive chrome paint etc and not at all how it was done

crappy is in the eye of the beholder- homebuilt and used can be a beautiful thing. That said a lot of crappy things are built to take advantage of the rat market.

Last edited:
Boy! I'm new to this site, and I thought everyone here liked bikes. I mean all kinds of bikes like I do. Maybe not. If I knew this was going to be a Concourse d Elegance bike website, I might not have joined. If I go to a swap meet, and see a bare frame without a fork laying in the dirt for 40 bucks, I'm buying it and building what ever I want. I mean I have a rescued Chicago Schwinn date of Thursday, May 26th, 1960, built between 10:00 and 10:15 Am. It has Collegiate green paint that an automotive paint shop matched up for me, but it doesn't have fenders. It has a Chinese crank, and bars, and eBay decals. A buddy told me once, "You rescued a Chicago Schwinn frame and fork from the scrappers. Well done." Well, sheesh, maybe not if you read some of the posts here. I thought I was doing a good thing.

Is about custom bikes and that's why the poster put his post here. He is entitled to his opinion as you are to yours. I would suggest maybe checking out the gallery on ratrodbikes and see what some of these guys are doing. I think you'll find a lot more than satin black paint and 144 spoke wheels. I think it would do some people good to remember that bicycles were created to be ridden, enjoyed and well used and not sit as part of some dusty collection of a person who sees only their monetary value. I'm not saying you're guilty of this or anyone else on this site is (I've met some wonderful people)
I'm thinking that if our old bicycles could talk, they tell you of the wonderful times they've had...from the morning they were received by a happy child to the many adventures they shared. I'm also betting they'd tell you they love to do it all over again. So you go ratrodders! Rescue your bikes...ride them and love them!
(but leave me a few of the nice girls bikes I can restore :) )

Boy! I'm new to this site, and I thought everyone here liked bikes. I mean all kinds of bikes like I do. Maybe not. If I knew this was going to be a Concourse d Elegance bike website, I might not have joined. If I go to a swap meet, and see a bare frame without a fork laying in the dirt for 40 bucks, I'm buying it and building what ever I want. I mean I have a rescued Chicago Schwinn date of Thursday, May 26th, 1960, built between 10:00 and 10:15 Am. It has Collegiate green paint that an automotive paint shop matched up for me, but it doesn't have fenders. It has a Chinese crank, and bars, and eBay decals. A buddy told me once, "You rescued a Chicago Schwinn frame and fork from the scrappers. Well done." Well, sheesh, maybe not if you read some of the posts here. I thought I was doing a good thing.
No that's cool...you saved a frame!... I think what some of the guys are talking about is the fact some ratrod guys take really nice complete bikes and destroy them by turning them into some pile of primer black crap...

Back