When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm not in favor of rat bikes!

-
The only "semi - rat' more of a custom that I did. Just like one I had in the day. Late 50's
jagrat.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG
IMG_0755.JPG
I think to change the appearance of a bike other than its original state is a form of expressing ones self weather it be a custom or rat rod or even s Klunker build , I too love a complete original bike as much as customizing a bike to my personal liking . I could live with myself either way ! Lol

another one saved

View attachment 192367View attachment 192368View attachment 192369View attachment 192370

I had a poorly repaired Hawthorne frame. really bad weld job where frame broke and was repaired by way too much brazing rod piled on. I considered throwing this frame out it looked so bad. I saw this tank setting under a table at a swap meet. every one had passed it by. the guy wanted 10 bucks for it! wasnt rusted, I didnt know what it fit, but for 10 bucks I bought it.
Of course the only frame it fit was the ratty hawthorne.
Lots of grinding later I got the bad welds looking excellent. striped off two coats of house and paint lots of rust. Added 1950 Huffy fenders, a 49 Buick hood ornament, the hocky stick guard
and a coke bottle opener I found nosing thru the trash. :)
The only way this bike got saved was because of the tank. I put it together Christmas week, and just brought it out today. too icey to ride though. Another old bike saved!

View attachment 192367

View attachment 192368

View attachment 192369

View attachment 192370
not an
another one saved

View attachment 192367View attachment 192368View attachment 192369View attachment 192370

I had a poorly repaired Hawthorne frame. really bad weld job where frame broke and was repaired by way too much brazing rod piled on. I considered throwing this frame out it looked so bad. I saw this tank setting under a table at a swap meet. every one had passed it by. the guy wanted 10 bucks for it! wasnt rusted, I didnt know what it fit, but for 10 bucks I bought it.
Of course the only frame it fit was the ratty hawthorne.
Lots of grinding later I got the bad welds looking excellent. striped off two coats of house and paint lots of rust. Added 1950 Huffy fenders, a 49 Buick hood ornament, the hocky stick guard
and a coke bottle opener I found nosing thru the trash. :)
The only way this bike got saved was because of the tank. I put it together Christmas week, and just brought it out today. too icey to ride though. Another old bike saved!

View attachment 192367

View attachment 192368

View attachment 192369

View attachment 192370
not another one tinker dave , its super nice I like it , good talking to you to day tinker dave keep them comeing ,I no you got more surprisess!!! for us cabers!!!!! from bicycle larry

Dudes, he had quite a few things I liked and would want on Beryl, like the rack and tank. Even if it's black I saw the Troxel seat I want on eBay. Troxels are my official favorite seats.

20160417_173425.jpg
20161213_213143.jpg
View attachment 440762 Like my Hot Rod, I build my Bicycles and Motorcycles for me with my money, and my sweat. It's none of anyone's business what or how I do it. I build these things to make me happy. I used to show my 1958 FLH Harey Davidson but got tired of everyone telling me what they would do if it was theirs. I Build both Stock and Rats and enjoy both.

Last edited:
Wow! And the debate rages on for 6 years. I like bikes! Custom, motorized, restored, rat, just bikes. I lean towards the custom, rat, motorized. I do not restore bikes. But I will be happy to come over and oggle at your restored bike. Now I'm gonna go weld some big ugly brackets on my 41 Autocycle frame. Just kidding.

I think my attraction (read: addiction) to crusty rusties is because that's what we had as kids. No one in my neighborhood had a fancy Schwinn. If we were lucky enough to get a new bike it was a basic model. If you had a bike you'd start saving for some ape hanger, shorty fenders, lay back seatpost, etc. We weren't poor, just working class families.

Back