When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm not in favor of rat bikes!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Cleveland Welding and Colson Light Custom Rats Before, After and In-between.
'48 Hawthorne Before.JPG
'48 Hawthorne Rat R 1.jpg
'48 Rat After.JPG
'42 R Before.jpg
IMG_4565.JPG
IMG_4588.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job Dave. These "patina'd" bikes are great. Pick up a bare bones frame or rusty bucket and build a rider out of it.don't have to worry about it falling over. What we should do is go to Indiana , stop by Vince's place and steal his primo bikes and make "rats" out of themo_O
That Colson is my favorite.

Hey, Are those the fender braces that were hanging in my garage?:)
They most certainly are. Did I do OK? Funny thing about that Colson. When I picked it up, I told the seller that I'd send him photos when I completed the bike. Well, after about two years the bike finally got completed. I called him and asked if he'd still like to see some photos. He did, so I sent them. I never did hear a word back. I don't think these were quite the results he was expecting to see.

Last edited:
Love that bike RJ, but I don't see a "Rat" I see a 1st gen MTB style, when I think "Rat" I see in my minds eye something that is basically unridable with just silly things affixed to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job Dave. These "patina'd" bikes are great. Pick up a bare bones frame or rusty bucket and build a rider out of it.don't have to worry about it falling over. What we should do is go to Indiana , stop by Vince's place and steal his primo bikes and make "rats" out of themo_O
That Colson is my favorite.
You are always welcome but the Portland Pinhead......well maybe not so much.

Rat bike is not a lazy custom build. I see it as preservation of patina. They are only new once. Like us they age over time. To see the checked paint. The fading of finish and tarnishing of metal is a badge of honer. Anyone with money can restore a bike to new. But it takes true time and use to make a Rat. I love both the restored and the preserved bike.

They most certainly are. Did I do OK? Funny thing about that Colson. When I picked it up, I told the seller that I'd send him photos when I completed the bike. Well, after about two years the bike finally got completed. I called him and asked if he'd still like to see some photos. He did, so I sent them. I never did hear a word back. I don't think these were quite the results he was expecting to see.
Which bike did you polish and wax the spokes on ?

Another project started today.... Picked up this frame on Sat. at a swap for 40 bucks. Nice &straight, but rusty , old straight-bar frame.
IMG_2151.JPG

Looked like an old Ranger.Took some "Goof-Off and removed the frame darts that had been painted over original darts.
IMG_2152.JPG

There was a faint outlione of a round Ranger badge and some original "Ranger brown" paint still left.
IMG_2156 (1).JPG
Removed the paint and 90 years of rust.& Found a 36 Ranger chrome fork in the basement.....
IMG_2157.JPG
IMG_2159.JPG
Shot a coat of red primer on it. This will be the start of a nice "Bomber."....no fenders,no restoration, just a rider.

Another one under two wheels, that's what I like to see! You staying ruddy brown or something else in satin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back