When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm not in favor of rat bikes!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
1ed1a7abd989a46458432a498a8aebf0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether or not they are liked by everyone, I think they are a good thing for this hobby in general.

Most the bikes that are turned into rat type of rides do not get purchased in collector quality. They at least get some basic maintenance and get pieced back together often with mis-matched parts and end up getting preserved for the next owner to do with what they want. It just gives these bikes and the parts that are used another chance at avoiding the junk yard.

I think almost everyone here also enjoys seeing vintage bikes in mint condition, but these collectable mint bikes are often out of individual budgets. I do like seeing a vintage bike in mint condition, but also appreciate the rat rides as well.

I would never tear down a mint bike and turn into a rat ride, but have also purchased bikes that would be to costly for me to restore. When that happens I make the best out of the situation and try to piece together some parts I have handy. It can be fun just trying to get a old bike back on the road. (like the one in my avatar). This bike has received more complements than any other I have had the chance to ride, and little on it is original or matches. Every part on it has been picked up in Chicago area flea markets / estate sales in less than desirable condition. Except for the tires which were purchased new, and cost me more than the frame.

In the process if I collect any parts of value that I think other people can use, they often end up on the auction site to help others with what ever type of restore / refurbish they are trying to accomplish.

I'm not really in the same market as many of the higher end collectors who post here, but enjoy seeing all the photos and the few parts I can offer up usually end up finding other buyers in need rather quickly.

Last edited:
Back