When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm not in favor of rat bikes!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Sorry! I know i'm going to raise some hackels, But I have to ask, why would you want what was a beautiful piece of americana balloon tire bike and make it into something it never was? NO OFFENSIVE! but wouldn't it be better to return it to it's original glory? and preserve it's history?

I understand it take a LOT of money to do it right, but can't you just do the minimun to preserve it until you, or someone else can restore it properly?

jim c.
My dad is in a de tomaso Pantera car club, at every big event being that they are classic,rare, and also sports/race cars, the club splits in half. Half go to the race track and the other to the "show n shine", both sides never quite under standing the other. Haha I laugh every time, but you know if we all thought and felt the exact same way about everything, Life would be pretty boring I think. HAPPY 2019!

Any old bike that is saved from scrap that isn't anywhere near original but can be fixed up to ride is fine. I don't ever endorse cutting up a good original, but many classic bare frames can easily be made into a decent rat. Most of the old stuff I got is free, so it's pretty bad off, seldomly with original paint worth saving. My 53 Schwinn, the bike I first ratted out in 1978 was so badly pitted from rust on the chain stay that I filled it in with bondo, still has many miles in it, but not as a restored Meteor. Not worth a complete restoration, but still beats anything made in China. It's had different versions over the years and the frame waits in a shed for another rebuild back in Florida.
1zlzwub.jpg

20061_92f5538e97323cee845fd813783ea9ea.jpg

20062_5a0f2da825aba198346014d5d9fac77d.jpg

20065_1f75133a1d22e1e88417adc0d43f4326.jpg

Any old bike that is saved from scrap that isn't anywhere near original but can be fixed up to ride is fine. I don't ever endorse cutting up a good original, but many classic bare frames can easily be made into a decent rat. Most of the old stuff I got is free, so it's pretty bad off, seldomly with original paint worth saving. My 53 Schwinn, the bike I first ratted out in 1978 was so badly pitted from rust on the chain stay that I filled it in with bondo, still has many miles in it, but not as a restored Meteor. Not worth a complete restoration, but still beats anything made in China. It's had different versions over the years and the frame waits in a shed for another rebuild back in Florida.
View attachment 929164

View attachment 929165

View attachment 929166

View attachment 929167
now theres abike where things worked,nice bike!!

This thread really makes me think. I had always labeled my 2 builds as rat bikes but thinking it over they simply are not trashy enough or have any parts that were never designed to be used on a bicycle. They both include some level of paint. When you think of a rat rod car or truck in your head these builds above certainly do not come to mind and neither do the bikes i built. Sure they are custom but certainly not the version of rat rod that many would shoot for in a car build. Don't take my word for it just Google rat rod. There is a common theme in most of the results. No paint at all or tons of rust. Forget flat black. This almost makes me want to build a true bare metal beer and salt rusted then clear coated bike with even more garbage tack welded to the frame. Seriously i just might do this. Right after i build a vintage straight bar balloon tire bike. We live in a world where everything is labeled. That is the way it is. I'm ok with that. Label me what you want and I will label you right back. I don't really care and you should not either.

20181124_124941.jpg

'' Theres no wrong answer in what your doing to your own property, as long as your doing something. '' the only 2 bikes i have built in the past 2 years were (modern) customs and in the 2 weeks or so i have been on the cabe i have learned that there is a wrong answer. Rats or customs on vintage bikes are really only to be done under certain conditions and if any restoration possibilities remain customization should be avoided, minimal, or easily reversed. Preserving history worth preserving is important. That's why anyone who has worked to remove house paint from a vintage bike took the time knowing that what they were doing was important. Not just to them. I salute them and their persistence. And those who applied said house paint (or flat black spray paint for that matter) should be tarred and feathered.

Back