When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Stuck - Requesting help on Elgin/Musselman rear Hub

-
Gene,

The retainer is not backward. If I flip it around to wide end first it doesn't seat in the hub race at all. Gotta go narrow end 1st.

By chance are you using the retainer from the sprocket side that is smaller then the retainer for the brake side.

Gene, that's a good call. I checked it to be sure. I don't think that's the case here as both my sprocket side retainers and bearings haven't been removed from there original positions since disassembly. They are both seemingly 'permanent' in their positions due to ridges and such keeping them in place. I didn't know how to get them off.

I don't know how they do it but the smaller outer retainer seems to be impossible to remove without damaging something.

IMG_4586-1.jpg

Gene, that's a good call. I checked it to be sure. I don't think that's the case here as both my sprocket side retainers and bearings haven't been removed from there original positions since disassembly. They are both seemingly 'permanent' in their positions due to ridges and such keeping them in place. I didn't know how to get them off.

I don't know how they do it but the smaller outer retainer seems to be impossible to remove without damaging something.

IMG_4586-1.jpg

My musselman book is kind of blurry so thats the best i can come up with.Good luck

Last edited:
Okay, so I got the bearing retainer (with bearings) over the lip. (Upper photo, on the right). Had to whack it with a rubber mallet to get it in there.

Now I am assembling my hub looking at my disassembly photos and the same darn retainer won't nestle right into the hub race. What is going on here? I feel like a rookie.

Does it need to 'snap' into the hub race housing too?

IMG_4588-1.jpg

IMG_4587-1.jpg

ASSUMING you have the right parts... roll the retainer assembly a little forward on the cone while sliding the assembly into the hub, sometimes the bearings roll back on the cone/race and expand enough such that they wont fit into the hub... don't you just love the learning process?

man, I'll try that. You guys are saving my bacon on this hub. Never had so much trouble.

Your gonna love it when you get it together. I'll trade you my new departures for your Musselmans all day long. :D

Update:

Okay, I am still unable to get the bearing/retainer in. Talking heavy forcing here too. I removed it from the previously mentioned race and tried fitting it JUST BY ITSELF into the hub shell/cone. It would barely fit!

So I have a theory as too why my last race was so damaged and destroyed...I think the retainer is the wrong one, too big!
IMG_4566-1.jpg

So now, not being able to get the retainer even squeezed into the hub, that seems to indicate to me that it is too big. The bearings were too compressed from the hub and caused the wear seen above as they compressed on that race. I'v also noted that the retainer in question seems too wobbly and big how it sits now on the new race.

Anyone have any pics or measurements of the correct retainer for an Air Cooled Elgin hub?

1. My retainers are unmarked, but they hold nine 1/4 inch balls.
2. They are the same at each end of the hub.
3. They are the "other" style, open on the outer perimeter, closed on the inner.
4. Are you trying to reuse the balls that were rolling on that other cone? :eek: I hope not.
5. You don't really need a retainer. Get some 1/4in balls at your LBS or hardware store. Paste them onto your "cone" or shell with grease and assemble that way. With no retainer it will probably hold up to 12 or 13 balls.

Warm up on your New Departure and switch to this one and you'll think you are Lance Armstrong.! :eek:

Last edited:
Back