When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Stuck - Requesting help on Elgin/Musselman rear Hub

-
Doug, you're a lifesaver.

Two of my retainers are the "finger" kind (see pics above, with the sprocket). The one in question is a solid ring with circular holes in it (reminds me of a UFO) ...BL they are different.
The one in question holds 10 bearings
The retainer on the sprocket has 10, the small one has 8 (see pics above).
Why not use the old bearings and retainer, they look fine.

I will see about trying w/o the retainer and getting some new bearings.

Doug, you're a lifesaver.

Two of my retainers are the "finger" kind (see pics above, with the sprocket). The one in question is a solid ring with circular holes in it (reminds me of a UFO) ...BL they are different.
The one in question holds 10 bearings
The retainer on the sprocket has 10, the small one has 8 (see pics above).
Why not use the old bearings and retainer, they look fine.

I will see about trying w/o the retainer and getting some new bearings.

Interesting, non of your retainers are the same as mine. But I'll bet that 1/4 in balls is constant throughout.. I guess I didn't understand how the bearings could look fine given the look of that race and the noises you were hearing. Are they 1/4 in? If they are undamaged, of course you can use them. But you'll want more with no retainer. Use as many as will fit, leaving a space less than 1 more. I like to replace all at once because of possible production tolerance variations.

Update:

So I was able to find a retainer and bearing set that is very slightly smaller than the one in question. Well, it fit right in the race and the bearings were rolling in the groove. It also fit perfectly in the hub cone! Yes!

It now rolls as good as ever and makes no noise! I think that was it!

Thanks everyone for helping work me through this!

My only remaining question is that the braking action is a little "soft." Did I over-grease some internal part?

Nate / Buster

Update:

My only remaining question is that the braking action is a little "soft." Did I over-grease some internal part?

Nate / Buster

I do not believe that Musselman specifies any special lube procedure as does ND. I suggest you ride it for a while. I have seen some brakes improve with use. If that does not work we can discuss other alternatives.

Last edited:
Thanks. The whole thing was lubed when I disassembled it. Every square inch. I cleaned it all up and applied fresh bike bearing grease everywhere. Seems to be that the "brake pad" in there needs to be greased for friction and metal grinding protection, yet that grease also hinders stopping capability too.

3 miles today on her, up and down some small hills. The braking action seems to be improved a little.

as doug said ................. on that note , i just rebuilt a model m , and with no retainer it seems 13 balls is max and good . ron...........also a common mistake is to re assemble the hub backwards . i have done it with lots of confusion because it wont go together! make sure the cog is on the (short) side of the hub, not the side of the hub with the extended side. allways examine pictures closley

And here is my model m that I just rebuilt
20170415_103333.jpg

Back