When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Im stumped

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bentwoody66

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Looking for an age on this Musselman hub. It almost looks like it is cast.

20220206_215437.jpg

20220206_215429.jpg

20220206_215423.jpg

Looks like the 1936 Musselman design patent 101,999.

The picture shows a rear hub, but one gets the general idea.

I thought these might have been used on Sears Elgins?

Last edited:
I had one on a 1936 Western Flyer that I bought 45 years ago, the hub was broken when I got the bike.
It had split along the casting seam and around the spoke area letting about 5 spokes break away from the hub.
The rear hub was a New Departure model D, both rims were original paint and matched the bike. If it wasn't original, it was changed out a long time before I found it at a yardsale in the early 70's.

Love wheels with these hubs. Here's one I made into a light fixture. I figure after I croak, it'll get tossed out, but just in case, as you can see, I saved the guts. This may have come off an Elgin ???? [The name escapes me, it's the girl's version of the Bluebird] The fellow I bought this rim off had a complete, although basket-case Bluebird and was hoarding lots of extra parts.

Not to be confused with the finned Elgin type Musselman hubs, which were turned from bar stock.
The Musselman Streamline front hub was introduced in late 1937 and is, cast of pot metal.
They came both nickel or chrome, and are delicate, yet sturdy once built into a wheel, providing that care is taken during the tensioning process.
I’ve built a few wheels with these hubs and have ridden many miles without any issues.
The bearing cups are pressed in, so take note, when purchasing one of these hubs, to make sure the cups are there and in decent shape.
Unfortunately, one characteristic about these hubs that I have noticed, is that instead of rusting, the way the bar stock hubs do, these cast pot metal hubs tend to corrode by blistering from underneath, so finding a clean example these days is getting harder and harder to do, as the years go by.
If they’ve been left out in the weather for any length of time, they can get pretty crusty, which may play a significant role in how brittle the pot metal has become.
Just my observations of this neat looking hub.

Last edited:
Back