When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm way out of my depth, I need some help identifying this one

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

veewee25

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Got this the other day. I have no idea where to start when trying to identify it. Its an odd combo of parts. Aluminum Araya 26 x 1 1/4 hoops mated to a 1939 dated Musellman coaster.The only markings I see is R V R stamped onto the bottom bracket shell and 78542 stamped onto the seat tube.
I need your help! what do i have here!???

1000004238.jpg

1000004239.jpg

1000004240.jpg

1000004241.jpg

1000004242.jpg

1000004243.jpg

1000004244.jpg

1000004246.jpg

1000004245.jpg

1000004247.jpg

1000004248.jpg

1000004249.jpg

1000004250.jpg

Outside of my sweet spot as well, but it looks to be mostly intact except the wheelset. The crankset appears to be British-made Williams: marked with a sword and the letters E B W, with a date code below....it looks like the chainring is stamped with a "C" below the sword, which dates as 1915. Can't see a code below the sword on the crank arms, but here is a listing of the date codes: https://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/classic_components/williams-component-dating/

-----

noticed that lugs, crown, shell, headset & pedals appear they may be Brampton items

when combined with chainset information posted above a UK origin for the machine is strongly suggested

headset may prove to be of the floating u-race type

possible bottom bracket assembly may be Brampton
you may be able to read markings on faces of bearing cups

centre section of spindle should exhibit a marking

steerer may carry a marking

member @dnc1 should be able to shed some of his not inconsiderable illumination on the machine

-----

Last edited:
Some additional pictures and info. I spent some more time with a flashlight going over every inch of the bike trying to discover more about it. The pedals are stamped Phillips. There doesn't appear to be any markings on the bottom bracket cups or any other surfaces. I tried to get a better photo of the crank stamping. It looks to me to be a "O" instead of a "C" as originally thought. The chain is a Union. Clips are different brands Pelissier and Lapize with both of the leather straps stamped Lapize as well.

1000004251.jpg

1000004258.jpg

1000004259.jpg

1000004260.jpg

1000004265.jpg

1000004269.jpg

1000004270.jpg

1000004268.jpg

1000004267.jpg

-----

thank you for the additional information

Lapize brand toeclips & straps issue from the firm of Poutrait-Morin

Pelissier brand products issue from the firm of Etablissements Perrin et Courson

Phillips pedal model not shown in this catalgoue page of 1935, perhaps it had been discontinued by this time

Phillips pedals, catalogue page  .jpg

note that dustcap of subject pedal matches none of the models shown on this catalogue page

subject pedals do bear a resemblance to the Celtonia model of the later years, perhaps a variant or different generation than this example -

Phillips Celtonia pedals  .jpg

-----

Last edited:
Thank you all for the insight. So couple of questions.

From the other Phillips examples Ive seen this looks very similar....So does everyone feel the same??

Does seem safe to say that this is from the 1920s?

The 26" wheel size seems correct for this particular model?

So my other questions/ observations.. the bike has a bit of a varied mix of parts some from different eras which isn't that surprising considering its age. The bike had a sort of restoration at some point in the last 20 years or so as its a very ride able bike with semi fresh grease in all the rotating assemblies as well as the modern tires. All of the components that would have had some sort of plating..Bars,stem,seat post,cranks,pedals,toe clips etc... all appear to have a blasted finish with some sort of Grayish blueing applied, At least that's the best way i can describe it.

Would it of had fenders? Brakes or 3 speed?

Back