When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Important Discussion for Newcomers to the Hobby

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This kind of reminds me of something my friend did many years ago.He purchased a pre war Ford that had won many trophies at the area car shows for originality. He took it home and turned it into a street rod.lol He was laughed at at all the car shows from that point on .His defense was that he wanted a nice condition car to start his street rod project on.lol Although not the case here,it just reminded me of that.

:innocent:the last thing we need is more self appointed bicycle police
12805745_1151352241603147_6593153531013036364_n.jpg

I believe like many others are saying it's your bike you should be able to do with it as you please but with that being said i've heard many times in this hobby that we are supposed to be the caretakers of these beautiful antique works of art for the next generation or the next person sometimes I spend more money on these beautiful bicycles then they're worth just so I can have them and protect them and keep them as original as possible for the next generation all my bikes are really original and that's all I collect I'm a firm believer in not Parting or restoring original paint bicycles and being a good caretaker for the next generation with that being said somebody said put your money where your mouth is.. if I would've seen that bike for sale you better believe I would put my money down on that that's a very sought after bike and was in good original condition that's just my opinion about the situation by the way I have 80 original heavyweight tank bicycles in my collection

Last edited:
Oh,C’mon guys. Its a bike lol! I dont care how much we spend, they were made for fun and for kids! Not old guys,sorry,lol! Hey, If you wanna put this in the correct perspective, according to me, LOL,have the wife or significant other snap a pic of you riding your favorite bike. If you’re bigger than the 12 year old it was made for,you probably wont take this too serious again. I dont,our country alone has a zillion “original” or “correct” old bikes in
museums and “collections” collecting dust.

Well probably can't change any opinions once your mind is made up just like you're not going to change my opinion I guess that's what makes America great is that we all can be free to say and do what we want but I guess it's like an old coin if You have a 1909 s. V.d.b wheat penny some people might say well that's just a Old penny but I would say that's a very rare coin and it's collectible so I sure wouldn't want to go put it in my pocket change and spend it or put it in some jewelry cleaner and clean it because That takes away from its value I'm an antique guy so I look at things as having value because they're old and original and rare I believe bicycles are meant to have fun with to but if I was going to restore one I would maybe pick something a little bit more common to play with or not so rare it is just the way I do with things that's why we live in America

Last edited:
This type of discussion always leads back to the age old topic of how many examples of a given model exist.
You can say, oh, there's dozens of those around.
But when you start talking original paint/condition, the numbers drop off dramatically.
For all of the Elgin Bluebirds we've seen come to light in the last couple of years, how many of them were complete and in original paint/condition?
Maybe 1 out of 10?
Original condition is a very special thing once the numbers of existing models gets down there.
I have no idea how many original CWC Four Gills are around, but I'm sure the decision to repaint this one wasn't made lightly.
I like to see interesting original finish bikes as well as finely/accurately restored bikes, and it looks like this one will be done well, so I'll be looking forward to seeing the progress on this project.

Original finish is more valuable, and becoming more so as time slides by, whether it is motorcycles, bikes, furniture, cars, and a lot of other collectible stuff.
We as human beings all make judgment errors on occasion, and this may or may not be one of those examples. If you do a lot of base jumping or skiing in the backcountry, you cannot make judgment errors or you could die. With an original parts/paint bicycle, you could make the judgment error to "restore" it from original, and you won't be harmed, judgment error or not. I would still stare admirably at it if totally "restored" as planned, but would stare at it three times longer if it was just cleaned up.

That's why they say it's only original once can you make something original again no .. if anyone else has some old original rare bicycles they want to part out or
restore just give me a call I'll give you more than what you paid for them i'll pay for the shipping and then you'll have some extra money for your next project :D :D :D :D :D :D

Patience Grasshoppers... As I see it, the only mistake this fellow made was letting you in on pictures of the original bike. If it turns out like his other restorations in the past- no expense will be spared in making it a correct and flawless restoration. And that`s what HE wants, for his collection. Everyone here has that option, and opinions about such things should be held until you all see the finished product. Park his original bike beside of a perfect restoration and you might change your mind. The decision on this one has already been made- and I honor HIS opinion before any other. I applaud His decision, as He had guts enough to make it.
There are more of these bikes out there- for those who think differently... Find your own...-----God Bless,---Cowboy

Back