When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Important Discussion for Newcomers to the Hobby

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I believe like many others are saying it's your bike you should be able to do with it as you please but with that being said i've heard many times in this hobby that we are supposed to be the caretakers of these beautiful antique works of art for the next generation or the next person sometimes I spend more money on these beautiful bicycles then they're worth just so I can have them and protect them and keep them as original as possible for the next generation all my bikes are really original and that's all I collect I'm a firm believer in not Parting or restoring original paint bicycles and being a good caretaker for the next generation with that being said somebody said put your money where your mouth is.. if I would've seen that bike for sale you better believe I would put my money down on that that's a very sought after bike and was in good original condition that's just my opinion about the situation by the way I have 80 original heavyweight tank bicycles in my collection
Well said, certain bike are works of art in untouched condition, not all bikes are better left alone but in my opinion certain vintage bicycle are true works of a time period long past, and should be left alone with that unique patina, the same applies to a 10+ find vintage bike in perfect condition paint, tires, seat etc, again this is just my personal opinion, it's those bikes in between this area that the owner must decide on its future, restoration, parts, etc...

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

10169180_10204833263645276_2663854413306753506_n.jpg

Its sad, but in the grand scheme of things I think whats really sad is that this is what we are wasting our time fretting and fussing about while our oceans are dying.

Think long term... 100 years from now, the difference between an original paint and a restored bike will be... very, very little. The only issue will be whether or not it will make it to Bartertown.

It may be most important to 1st recognize every-ones posts above have weight to them. Very good examples above of the Schwinn and Roadmaster difference. The Roadmaster was missing original parts and the paint was toast. The Scwhinn on the other hand I would consider a "cleaner", and what I would more accurately call a "preservation" candidate. Both well done & I approve. What to "preserve" and what to "restore" is a slippery slope that will only be more clearly defined perhaps 50 years from now. I would bet on preserved.(Edit: as more desirable as opposed to perfect) .skpc

Last edited:
It may be most important to 1st recognize every-ones posts above have weight to them. Very good examples above of the Schwinn and Roadmaster difference. The Roadmaster was missing original parts and the paint was toast. The Scwhinn on the other hand I would consider a "cleaner", and what I would more accurately call a "preservation" candidate. Both well done & I approve. What to "preserve" and what to "restore" is the slippery slope that will only be more clearly defined perhaps 50 years from now. I would bet on preserved..skpc

What to preserve and what to restore is and always will be decided by the current owner and I doubt that will change in the future.

Quote: I made a living for 35 years restoring everything from cars to furniture. I trust my own judgement over most others in deciding what course of action to take when beginning a project. If a bike isn't a 6++, I'm going to restore it.

If it aint broke don't fix it. That's just my opinion to each his own. I feel like these things earn every bit of how they look nowadays as far as a good patina goes. But then again the fancy show bikes that people like have to come from somewhere. End of the day do what ya want it's your time and your dime

Back