When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Important Discussion for Newcomers to the Hobby

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Threads like this should be deleted. HORDER has been cool about the whole thing,so far as Im concerned. Its his stuff,he enjoys restoring ,his work shouldnt be put out here in a "what NOT to do " thread.This is BS,I keep looking back here hoping for something cool,other than what HORDER posts,not going to happen,I guess.

If restored bikes were all the rage years ago, who's to say what will be popular to a new generation of collectors? Trends come and go. Let's face it, most members of this forum aren't exactly kids. Who can say the next generation will even want our bikes. I collect B-movie cowboy collectables . ( Roy Rogers, Gene Autry , Hopalong Cassidy etc.) The value of this stuff is falling because the group of people with an attachment to it are slowly but surely getting smaller. Same thing could happen with vintage bikes.

If restored bikes were all the rage years ago, who's to say what will be popular to a new generation of collectors? Trends come and go. Let's face it, most members of this forum aren't exactly kids. Who can say the next generation will even want our bikes. I collect B-movie cowboy collectables . ( Roy Rogers, Gene Autry , Hopalong Cassidy etc.) The value of this stuff is falling because the group of people with an attachment to it are slowly but surely getting smaller. Same thing could happen with vintage bikes.

My dad builds vintage RC planes. Beautiful, fun aircraft. Control-line planes have become a dead hobby, yet it is something my dad enjoys. Control-line planes were popular prior to the 1960s, and most people who grew up with them are now into their 70s, and no longer fly. My dad will soon turn 52, and he says he is one of the youngest ones still flying those planes. Rare kits that once went for hundreds of dollars or more, are now $40-$150. With few exceptions. Worse yet, today's RC modeler does not know how to build ANYTHING. Planes, cars, boats, you name it. They all buy pre-built.

Threads like this should be deleted. HORDER has been cool about the whole thing,so far as Im concerned. Its his stuff,he enjoys restoring ,his work shouldnt be put out here in a "what NOT to do " thread.This is BS,I keep looking back here hoping for something cool,other than what HORDER posts,not going to happen,I guess.

You misinterpret the intent of this thread.
Number one: It was posted as an open discussion by seasoned collectors for newcomers to look at the PROS and CONS of restoring an original paint bike.
Number two: It was posted to redirect this type of discussion AWAY from HOWARD'S thread in which he was showcasing his project.

You misinterpret the intent of this thread.
Number one: It was posted as an open discussion by seasoned collectors for newcomers to look at the PROS and CONS of restoring an original paint bike.
Number two: It was posted to redirect this type of discussion AWAY from HOWARD'S thread in which he was showcasing his project.
Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back.

Its sad, but in the grand scheme of things I think whats really sad is that this is what we are wasting our time fretting and fussing about while our oceans are dying. Its just an old bike, the paint is gone, let it go.
The Great Barrier Reef attracts sharks. Sharks kill surfers. Did I just pull a Vince/Dave? People complain about global warming--I have the best tan I've had in years in February? What does this have to do with the price of rice in China? Thought this was a bike site where we discuss stuff like to restore/not restore/how to restore/what is restore? V/r Shawn

wile_3366650b.jpg

Back