When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In regards to the twin-flex part out.

-
It's really sad in the end, when the money they get for all the pieces is less than what they were offered for the complete bike. I'm sure it doesn't happen that way often, but I'm sure it happens from time to time.

Last edited:
It's really sad in the end, when the money they get for all the pieces is less than what they were offered for the complete bike. I'm sure it doesn't happen that way often, but I'm sure it happens from time to time.

When has that happened EVER???

most bike collectors, myself included are cheapskates. There are a few stand up guys that will pay what is worth, and they know who they are. Everyone else is like... I only have $75 dollars, can ya sell me that phantom? So the real market for whole nice bikes is a lot slimmer then you think it is.
You will get $1000 in parts long before you will get $750 for the bike. I have parted out 300 or more motorcycles, and many bicycles. The truth remains.
We have no more right to tell the other person what to do with his bike then we do to yell about what they do.
If they feel the best way to make a living is to part out the thing THEY BOUGHT, its their right.
Those not happy with the direction of the ship, are directed to the mistletoe on the captains belt.

When has that happened EVER???

most bike collectors, myself included are cheapskates. There are a few stand up guys that will pay what is worth, and they know who they are. Everyone else is like... I only have $75 dollars, can ya sell me that phantom? So the real market for whole nice bikes is a lot slimmer then you think it is.
You will get $1000 in parts long before you will get $750 for the bike. I have parted out 300 or more motorcycles, and many bicycles. The truth remains.
We have no more right to tell the other person what to do with his bike then we do to yell about what they do.
If they feel the best way to make a living is to part out the thing THEY BOUGHT, its their right.
Those not happy with the direction of the ship, are directed to the mistletoe on the captains belt.

It MAY happen with a massed produced bike like the Black Phantom or the Monark Super deluxe.
I think folks might pay more for a complete original than a sum of these parts(possibly)...

The old wounds are periodically reopened by these situations. As much as it's nice to see a classic bicycle kept together, I see no practical alternative to allowing the market simply to do its work. The "complete bicycle police" are not a practical alternative. You make your best, fairest offer to buy it complete and move on.

I disagree with the comments that parted together bicycles are somehow lesser machines. Some bicycles start as projects and are built-up with proper parts over time, becoming gems. The real key is the quality of the parts sourcing and build of the project.

The old wounds are periodically reopened by these situations. As much as it's nice to see a classic bicycle kept together, I see no practical alternative to allowing the market simply to do its work. The "complete bicycle police" are not a practical alternative. You make your best, fairest offer to buy it complete and move on.

I disagree with the comments that parted together bicycles are somehow lesser machines. Some bicycles start as projects and are built-up with proper parts over time, becoming gems. The real key is the quality of the parts sourcing and build of the project.

Some of my bicycles have started as projects & built-up with proper parts & so on. But
I can sympathize with the "complete bicycle police" with the lament for the rare model
that is parted for xx reasons. "The real key is the quality of the parts sourcing and build
of the project ". Yes ...but at what price & is it really worth it ? I'm speaking of the
rare ones that I have yet to see & probably never will. Why ? The cold reality that it
is happening & will continue so that generations from now will only have a photo to
have an idea of what once was but no more. I'm hoping on the bike police to keep
on & try to preserve them as much as possible.

Btw:
I'm amazed with your work to not only your bike projects but the amount of time
dedicated to the Bike Shed as well. Takes me forever to just fix a flat. My compliments !

Back