When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold Incredibly rare Racycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
$3500.00 + shipping (I'll pack her very well in two boxes)
Zipcode

Wcben

Wore out three sets of tires already!
OK guys, actually never thought I would let her go but I'm in a position where I have no choice. I'm not playing games, please don't waste your time by trying to lowball me. The time spent researching and putting together the list of correct parts for her is insane.

So here it goes, 1903 Racycle cushion frame double flexible roadster with a One of kind set of single tine forks (let me correct that to read, I've been asking everywhere if anyone has seen a similar set and no-one has)... there may be another set but no-one has reported ever seeing one! so, she's had the forks re-nickled along with the headset hardware. Blue still has the seat post, bushing for the seat post, the seat clamp, the center pivot for the frame and the upper half of the cushion (they have all been done too, just haven't gotten them back yet. left to do plating wise are the pedals (Union) and crankset and hanger bolts, the bottom of the cushion, the hubs and the stem and clamp. optionally, the spokes could be done as well as the mount on the bottom of the saddle (I was going to leave the saddle original to help emphasize the age..... she is 117 years old! Ok so now the items I've searched long and hard for that come with her... THOR RACING HUBS - the front is not marked (32 spoke), from all of my research, the fronts weren't, the rear is marked (36 spoke), there is a step nut on the rear too! AWRco (American Wood Rim company- the predecessor to Lobdell) G&J rims (Original), the rear (36spoke) has been repaired (I received it damaged) the front (32 spoke) is very good, the rear needs to be glued together and both should really be steam aligned (I just haven't had the time)and then a good finish applied, these date to 1898-1903. The crankset is 1903 original, there was a rattle-can restoration done in the '70's so they are painted silver, should clean up and re-plate well, yes there is pitting but should be ok after polished and plated, there are original 1903 hanger bolts and nuts (most originals are gone), it will come with two chains, the Diamond that she was wearing when I first got her as well as an EXTREMELY rare Lefever arms chain, Lefever made the racycle chains but when they first started supplying Miami with chains, they also had a few that were from Lefever... it is 1/8" block (I've never seen another), I left it dirty to protect it until the bike was/is finished, just needs to have the grease cleaned off. The Saddle is (I believe) the oldest part, it's from Bunker saddle company, this particular design was introduced in 1898, they changed the mount hardware shortly thereafter, it's a pretty amazing piece technologically too, it's a pneumatic seat that's 122 years old!! The last but by far not the least impressive are the bars, they are Rastetter Rams horns, one piece wooden drop bars (Look At The Ferrule), they are mounted in a one of a kind clamp for the Hussey stem (I know it's one of a kind because I sure as hell am not going to make another!), the stem is the one piece that I've tried to keep my eyes out for one in better condition, the one I have is complete, just badly pitted, it could be used but it would take lots to make it as pretty as the rest of her.

This bike is pretty well known on here, I've received and provided lots of help from numerous guys, I'll gladly answer any questions.

I'd really like to see her remain together (even though right now she's disassembled). I do realize that ultimately the buyer can do whatever they want but hopefully, they'll see her the same way I have for 34 years... that's right, I originally got her in 1986! She's travelled with me from a little town in Upstate NY to Mass when I lived there and then to Florida hanging on the back of my Jeep for that trip!

It breaks my heart to let her go....

I need to make this happen this week.

pics can be seen here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmL2P1vk
and some better pics (although older can be found in my research files (if anyone wants to expand their knowledge of these wonderful wheels... peruse! : https://flic.kr/s/aHskQvms5P

This sucks, I typed this hours ago and had to walk away, just couldn't hit "Post". Thanks for reading it.

Last edited:
Thanks again to all, I won’t be going away and the folder on Flickr will remain up if anyone is interested in Researching Racycles!

Last edited:
we’re fortunate to have items of value when we need dough; hope things are on the upturn for you.
would be great if you’d reply here with pics for reference

Thanks, I’m confident that things will be turning around, just couldn’t gamble any further.

There are pics linked to the posts, well over 1500 in the research folder alone! What other pics would help?.... It wouldn‘t be right to overload the CABE server when I pay to have them hosted on Flickr.

Back