When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Indian? on EB

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If even one person agreed with you then I would say maybe but so far that has not happened.

I concur with the consensus on this debate.
I’d have my doubts, if not for the factory literature that basically corroborates that the Indian script decal was applied to the downtube of the frame only on the non electrically equipped models, and would be applied to the sides of the tank only on the equipped models.
Is it possible that a customer bought a non equipped bike, and added the tank/battery compartment aftermarket?
Sure!
Why not?
But then you would see the Indian script decals on both the tank and the downtube as clear evidence that this was the case with that particular bike.

Let’s get this straight out jealousy is clouding your simple thinking......your the one with the burden for proof..... that bikes missing the fenders and who’s to say the tank isn’t missing as well. How can one base a assessment of what was a hundred years ago and say this was so..

( 1) a company builds bikes and specifically places decals on frames to indicate no tank. Why? Placing a decal on later is a extra cost to them. Suppose there was a tank bike left and bike shops gets a non tank order. Oh I know... wait for a non tank frame to show up and lose a sale!... this Makes no sense. They’er in for a maximum profit and sales.. it makes more sense to just place decals on all when made then install the tank when ordered.
The tank was a option..That way it’s done and ready to sell

(2) Suppose the order comes in for a tank bike and the dealer has a non tank bike in stock but the accessory on the shelf .. oh ..let’s see..wait till a non script frame comes in... in a couple of weeks or month....lose a sale... :0 I think not.. suppose the assembler puts a tank on a non script frame it’s sent out.

(3). Advertisement of the product.. what company wouldn’t place decals on their products.

Still as I said the burden of documented proof is yours..

OK I started this thread and believe me I know very little to nothing about Indian bikes. But I always like to educate myself and learn what I can. And what I read in this thread and understand from Redline 1968 to me is:
1) The "factory" put the decal on in one place only, depending if the "factory" was building a tank bike(with decals on the tank on a non scripted frame) or non tank bike(scripted frame).
2) The "dealer" did not install decals but could add a tank(with decals) to a non a tank bike(scripted frame)
3) So a "dealer" installed tank bike would have decals in both places because all he would have access to are scripted frames.The non scripted frames already had tanks on them from the "factory".
4) @ Redline1968 "suppose the assembler puts a tank on a non script frame it’s sent out." Did you mean "scripted frame"? Easily "could of" happened?

Sorry I use the word "decal" loosely as I do not know if they were hand painted, silkscreened or a decal. (sign shop background)

Please educate me some more, but I am sure there are other threads on this topic. Still a great bike that doesn't show up to often.

I am more into pre-war Huffman/Dayton bikes, but love to be educated. As we all know history does change with new findings, knowledge and education.
Thanks Bill

Let’s get this straight out jealousy is clouding your simple thinking......your the one with the burden for proof..... that bikes missing the fenders and who’s to say the tank isn’t missing as well. How can one base a assessment of what was a hundred years ago and say this was so..

( 1) a company builds bikes and specifically places decals on frames to indicate no tank. Why? Placing a decal on later is a extra cost to them. Suppose there was a tank bike left and bike shops gets a non tank order. Oh I know... wait for a non tank frame to show up and lose a sale!... this Makes no sense. They’er in for a maximum profit and sales.. it makes more sense to just place decals on all when made then install the tank when ordered.
The tank was a option..That way it’s done and ready to sell

(2) Suppose the order comes in for a tank bike and the dealer has a non tank bike in stock but the accessory on the shelf .. oh ..let’s see..wait till a non script frame comes in... in a couple of weeks or month....lose a sale... :0 I think not.. suppose the assembler puts a tank on a non script frame it’s sent out.

(3). Advertisement of the product.. what company wouldn’t place decals on their products.

Still as I said the burden of documented proof is yours..

No jealousy here my friend. So far not one person that has weighed in on this has said that is an original paint tank. You forgot to list the most likely scenario here-- (4) Suppose a collector comes across a pretty nice original Indian and wants to enhance it and has a tank painted and distressed to match the bike.

BTW I had pics of that bike over a year before you bought it and didn't think the tank was right when I first saw it. WE believe you are the simple thinker here Mark. It took me at least four tries before I got you to understand Hendee did not produce this bike so obviously your well of knowledge is not too deep. My, and others, comments about this bike were just that--about the bike. You have decided to make this personal with the name calling an innuendo. If you want to believe this is an original paint tank and original to the bike that's fine but no one else believes it.

We should all be respectful of each other. One of the problems here is that in search of information, members post comments back and forth, sometimes getting off track and/or negative. This creates confusion for other members wanting to be educated who will get misguided and take information the wrong way. Therefore down the road they will use incorrect information now as fact when it is not. If there are discussions which lead to feuding, let’s keep that in private with PM messages or create another thread for boxing matches. I’m only trying to keep others who may be new or interested in this hobby safe from incorrect misleading informations. Try and be a little professional about this rather than being undereducated experts please. Or just ignore all of it like I have tried to do for years as it is pretty sickening. Believe me I am no authority, JUST MY 2¢ for all BIRDS OF A FEATHER.

Back