When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info/help on 1960s(?) Murray Sonic Flite

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cbryant

On Training Wheels
I recently bought a vintage Murray Sonic Flite bicycle and was hoping you could help me with some information on it such as are there different models within the Sonic line? Rarity and possible value? And just anything you might think is interesting or just know about this bike. I’m far from an expert so I would greatly appreciate any insight you may have. I’ve included some pictures and as for a description:
I got this while buying some other antiques from someone’s back yard where it was leaning up against an old shed. You can see the rust it’s taken on. Not the worst I’ve seen on old metal that’s for sure. Surface rust, nothing eaten through. Luckily the shed and accompanying bushes provided some protection. Tires are of course toast. One spoke in rear wheel is broken and many are loose but intact. Chain guard says Sonic Flite. Tank on frame has a switch for the headlights on top with the actual headlights built into the front of the tank (I read this may be rare?) No dents. Looks like original Wall pedals in good shape. Wheels spin after about a can of WD 40 and some cranking. Mud guards are in great shape, no dents. Seat leather is torn up but seat is still there. Metal tab on rear hub says Komet Super. Let me know what you think and again I appreciate your time.

E45A7A27-F9D7-479F-B5DF-BC8B5413B016.jpeg

97DDF359-C514-44FD-AE62-46866A142E8D.jpeg

DB792E8A-AE37-4563-8D02-CBD37D1CC024.jpeg

E95FDFA4-FBD4-4883-A0CC-906BD09E0F3A.jpeg

4DF9A93B-9CAB-4A73-8347-AEA88D1B712B.jpeg

D5F253B5-E837-4DD3-A4B6-63D9CD5D0D52.jpeg

608709F8-7CE2-4CCE-9D3C-1B4DE21BA012.jpeg

E9D71C53-84A7-4247-A6FB-D2CC8B18E5FC.jpeg

4746E038-D3B2-4238-838D-1ABA0EB0B141.jpeg

Fairly common bike. Very little value being a girls bike in poor condition. Hopefully you didn't pay much for it.

Cbryant:
Murray-built bikes of this general type were sold under various brands including Murray, Sears (JC Higgins Flightliners and Spaceliners), and Western Flyer. The attached pic is a Western Flyer. In support of what Jay81 posted, this one, which was a lot cleaner than yours, went for $40 on Craigslist. If you're looking to recoup some cash on this, some of the parts may be of interest to folks working on boys' Flightliners or Spaceliners.
Have fun, Andy
wf1.jpg

The bikes came in different levels. The top of the line level came with a chrome frame and a springer fork and, depending on the years, tail lights. I bought a JC Higgins recently that had quite a bit of surface rust. I took a couple of SOS pads to it to clean it, then made pads from sheets of aluminum foil and with a dribble of water coming from the hose, I rubbed the chrome until the rust was gone. I haven't gotten to the tight spots yet. Nice riding bikes, enjoy.
IMG_20190619_130417247_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190619_142358157.jpg

Depending on your age, "step through" bikes are okay - easy on and off.

I recently bought a vintage Murray Sonic Flite bicycle and was hoping you could help me with some information on it such as are there different models within the Sonic line? Rarity and possible value? And just anything you might think is interesting or just know about this bike. I’m far from an expert so I would greatly appreciate any insight you may have. I’ve included some pictures and as for a description:
I got this while buying some other antiques from someone’s back yard where it was leaning up against an old shed. You can see the rust it’s taken on. Not the worst I’ve seen on old metal that’s for sure. Surface rust, nothing eaten through. Luckily the shed and accompanying bushes provided some protection. Tires are of course toast. One spoke in rear wheel is broken and many are loose but intact. Chain guard says Sonic Flite. Tank on frame has a switch for the headlights on top with the actual headlights built into the front of the tank (I read this may be rare?) No dents. Looks like original Wall pedals in good shape. Wheels spin after about a can of WD 40 and some cranking. Mud guards are in great shape, no dents. Seat leather is torn up but seat is still there. Metal tab on rear hub says Komet Super. Let me know what you think and again I appreciate your time.

View attachment 1020007

View attachment 1020008

View attachment 1020009

View attachment 1020010

View attachment 1020011

View attachment 1020012

View attachment 1020013

View attachment 1020014

View attachment 1020015
Are The Wheels 26" ? It's pretty rough. Not a money maker , or rare .

I hope you didn't pay much . I just got this one 2 days ago . $60.00 Craigslist . Now I'm wondering if I paid too much ! :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream: I have not touched it yet. Should clean up nicely ! :sunglasses:

DSCF1803.JPG

DSCF1804.JPG

DSCF1806.JPG

DSCF1812.JPG

DSCF1805.JPG

DSCF1808.JPG

Back