When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info & history for "the Fowler"

-
So the above seems to indicate that the America truss frame was patented first, even if the truss design was first used on the Fowler?
Sounds like there was a bit of a dispute over this whole thing. I still wonder who actually sat down and designed the wishbone frame. We may never know since they both claim it. I think that sneaky little Schwinn guy took the truth to his grave.

One other thing that is interesting to note between Fowler and America is that I have nothing on racers on an America built frame. But, every time I research something on Fowler they seem to have many men who raced them and were champions! Fowler seems to be the racing bike of choice and they did have a model called "The King Bee" racer. I have many pictures of racers on a Fowler but I've never found a photo of a racer on any America.

In the International mfg/America ad, it says that each wishbone truss frame is built under the supervision of its inventor, E.M.Graham.
In an earlier article, it said that when Schwinn left Hill mfg/Fowler, to start up International/America, that he designed all of their products.
So, it looks like Schwinn took the inventor/patent holder, marketing guy, and chief financial officer, to start up International/America, and then did it again, a couple of years later to start up AS&Co.
It would be interesting to see,
(@Mark Mattei ) if Schwinn had any drawings of a wishbone truss type frame in the early days right after the formation of Arnold Schwinn and Company, or if he figured he had already squeezed all he could out of that gimmick. Lol!

Last edited:
Well then, speaking of gimmicks ...... who in the heck built this?? ( Fowler - America - or someone else )

Truss on seat tube and truss on down tube. Center crank with a belt going to the outside of the rim itself. Where is this bike today!!

16864593_10154949720162978_4032415351642884194_n.jpg

Wow! That sure is an interesting concept.
I wouldn't be surprised if E.M. Graham turned out to be the designer.
That one may have ended up in Schwinns archival collection.
@Mark Mattei would be the best source of knowledge for that possibility.
After thinking about this conversation, and the movement of intellectual property between companies.
With a signed no compete clause, I always wondered why Ignaz Schwinn didn't go after William Henderson when he left AS&Co. to start up Ace.
Now, I think I know why.
That's how Schwinn got his start, so turnabout was fair play.
He probably figured, if he could prove to be successful against the juggernaut that AS&Co. had become, then more power to him.
The funny thing is, that in a roundabout way, Bill Henderson did out last Schwinn in the American four cylinder motorcycle market.
The brand that Indian bought to get into that market was the Ace.
Interestingly enough, both of the designers of the final examples of the Henderson and the Ace were by guys that Schwinn and Indian had lured from Harley Davidson.
Arthur Constantine and Arthur Lemon.
Cutthroat business practices right from the beginning. Lol!
Ok, and now back to the Fowler/America conversation.

Which goes to show that the more things change, the more they stay the same. I am still in love with the wishbone design, whoever actually came up with it, and I think marketing the bike with a huge man riding it was genius, but can you imagine the reaction that would get these days :)

I also read that Fowler offered any color but white. Yet, the Fowler purchased from the Schwinn collection many years ago was a white one and all original. My client bought the bike from that auction and I took many pictures of it.

I’m restoring mine in the Purple that was offered in their catalogue.

The forks on these bikes have a different crown than gtdohn's Fowler and my bike (America?). I have a fork that looks like the one in the picture. If I remember right it has a smaller than normal steerer diameter.

Back