When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info & history for "the Fowler"

-
Does anyone have any interesting history or information on the Fowler bicycle. This one is about 1896. There isn't much out there to study. I don't remember seeing any for sale either, at least in quite some time.
Anything you might have would be appreciated,
Thank you.

View attachment 940853
BookReaderImages.php 2.jpeg

It looks to me like Hill mfg/Fowler was the first to patent that frame design, and Ignaz Schwinn took it with him when he formed International/America.
Was Ignaz the designer?
It seems like he held the patent rights.
So do the Fowlers with the split seat tube predate the Americas? Were they both made at the same time? I'm trying to confirm that my bike is an America.
Thanks,
Chris

america-2.jpg

I’m pretty sure that’s an America. I have some info on that etc but won’t have access to that until tonight or tomorrow. I don’t believe that’s a Fowler.

So do the Fowlers with the split seat tube predate the Americas? Were they both made at the same time? I'm trying to confirm that my bike is an America.
Thanks,
Chris

Yeah, I think by a couple of years.
It looks like the Hill Mfg./Fowler was being made in at least 1891 with the start up of the International Mfg./America in 1893.

Last edited:
It's an interesting connection between the transient tradesmen of Fowler, to America, and then ultimately the formation of Arnold Schwinn & Co.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It sounds like Ignaz Schwinn took the best of each company with him.
Snake moves all the way! Lol!

Last edited:
There's a photo of one on the UK V-CC library site described as a "Hill & Moffatt" Fowler from 1896.
But sadly no.further information other than an 1896 Fowler ladies model.

Back