When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info on a Le tour II for a newbie?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Vince2020

On Training Wheels
Hi, folks. Have to ask you to excuse my ignorance because I’m a Honda guy who hasn’t ridden anything with pedals since 1972, but I’m hoping someone can give me some info on a nice Schwinn I picked up a year ago. Found this cool Le Tour II at the swap meet one Sunday and thought it was a nice-looking 10 speed. Had no idea of its age or value, but the guy selling it was asking $55 so I stood there, looking it over for 10 minutes, thinking about it, and finally pulled the trigger, figuring a dealer friend who I knew liked bikes might want it, and if not maybe I could get my money out of it from someone else. (The fact a line of people behind me were salivating didn’t hurt either.)

Anyway, got it home, tried researching it and a serial number trace revealed it to be a Schwinn from 1977, when I was a couple years out of High School, having WAY too much fun, and being as that brought back a lot of memories of my misspent youth, I decided to keep it for nostalgia.

It’s kind of buried right now, but I think I recall this one was made in Japan, and I did not see this particular butterscotch-like color listed as an option. Can anyone tell me what color this bike is, or any details about it? I suspect the seat is not original, and I know the Wheaties water bottle is too new. I’d like to replace any missing/wrong parts to bring it back to original condition, and being I’m about to retire, when I get a new place, this will be going up on the wall to decorate my new digs.

Any info along those lines to help me will be appreciated!

DSC00138.JPG

DSC00139.JPG

One online that lists Scarlet, Violet, and Pearlescent Orange for 1977 but none of those seem to fit the color of my bike, which looks like butterscotch for lack of a better word

The color is Pearlescent Orange, having a kind of pearl tone to it. The Japan made ones are very good quality and lighter than the Chicago built 10 speeds.
I have a 1974 Le Tour and my frame was made by Panasonic for Schwinn. It’s a super sweet rider.
Your seat looks to be correct and will have a Japan stamp underneath. I put a Continental seat on mine cause they are more comfortable than the Japanese seat.

You are welcome. Yea it’s a weird shade but on the good looking side. A fine rider and a steal at $50. Enjoy!
Yes, I figured its being a Japan bike was a real plus. One thing--can you tell me if the seat looks correct, or has been changed? And should the wheels have any reflectors?

One online that lists Scarlet, Violet, and Pearlescent Orange for 1977 but none of those seem to fit the color of my bike, which looks like butterscotch for lack of a better word

As others have already stated, it is pearlecent orange, and it was made by the Panasonic Bike Company in Japan for Schwinn. They are great quality bikes, and for $50 you got a great deal.

Here is more info on the Panasonic bike company: https://www.panasonicbikemuseum.info/history/

1977_schwinn_approved_le_tour_2.jpg

Yes, I figured its being a Japan bike was a real plus. One thing--can you tell me if the seat looks correct, or has been changed? And should the wheels have any reflectors?

The bike looks to be all original, including the saddle. And it did come with the round wheel reflectors as in the pic I previously posted.

Back