When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info on Flightliners?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mastronaut

Look Ma, No Hands!
What years were they produced, and is there a serial number chart for them?
I've scanned the internet and haven't found much at all...Thanks :)

The Flightliner was introduced in 1958, and was made thru 1963. The Spaceliner replaced it as the deluxe bike in 64, though there were unnamed junior models after that which were basically a Flightliner. The only serial info I've been able to find is that most 50s up bikes made for Sears have "MOD 502" stamped on the frame, and there's a 4 or 5 digit #, usually starting w/a 4, which is the catalog #, and you can narrow down the year that way. The remaining #'s are sequential production #'s.

That's what I'm talkin about!

Good info! The numbers on mine are MOD 602, 46060, 149813 does that make it a 1960? They are all located on the bottom bracket. The numbers are a bit worn. Definately a Higgins though...

Fliner31-1.jpg

Last edited:
My book has the spring/summer pages for 1962 and 63; the 62 cat.#s are 4 digit, and the 63 and later have 5. The closest to your bike is a standard Flightliner w/coaster brake which is #46301, doesn't list a springer model. But I think it's safe to say it's between fall/winter 62 and 63.

Adam, it's good to see how people are starting to put the sears numbers to use. I have only had access to a handfull of Sears catalogs and wondered when they went from 4 digits to 5 digits. Thanks for that valuable information. Kenny.

Have you given thought to publishing the catalog here or elsewhere on the net?
That would be seriously helpful...:D

Kinda recently looked at the Sears sight and seen that I would most definitely need permission to use there pictures but I'm sure there is a way around that. It would cost quite a bit of money to buy up all the different editions and years of the Sears catalogs. There was at least 4 to 6 catalogs a year counting the suppliments or mid season catalogs. We do have some pages posted on the musclebike forums. If more people would scan there Sears catalog pages and post them, we could gather as many as possible in one place for all to see. We would just need to know the year and edition of the catalog. I do want to start a list on paper, but a picture and proper description would be so much better. Any ideals or suggestions? Kenny.

Well, the Elgin/JC Higgins/Hawthorne book has cat. pages from 1933-65, which is a pretty good overview! Though it'd be sweet if Classic Bicycle News reprinted it in color, and got some of the missing pages! (I think the old one is still available here in the bookstore)

Back