When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info wanted...Paint

-

eisopt

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hi All
I have a 1936 Schwinn that was house painted some time ago.
Anyone know how to remove just the old house paint and still leave the original
Thanks
Dave

I've had luck w/ Pro Strength Goof Off. The spray bottle option as opposed to out of the can which is much stronger. You'll need several applications & have to find a scrub pad or brush that is not too aggressive. Good luck w/ it.

I've had luck w/ Pro Strength Goof Off. The spray bottle option as opposed to out of the can which is much stronger. You'll need several applications & have to find a scrub pad or brush that is not too aggressive. Good luck w/ it.
Thank you

This come up a lot and there are many methods, oven cleaner, solvents like Goof Off, standard paint strippers, etc. Do a search and check out the before and after photos, some are amazing. Here's a sample https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/exposing-original-factory-paint.112568/.

Hopefully you don't have a bike like one of mine where they completely stripped off the original paint before troweling on the house paint.

Eisopt:
I've had success with acetone. Whatever solvent you use, try a little bit on a hidden area. As Dave K said, you need to experiment.
Have fun, Andy

in my experience, paying someone else to do it works best.

While doing it yourself is rewarding at times, it can also be very frustrating.

Just hope that whoever painted it, did not prep it for paint, like sanding it first. That only leads to heartbreak and tears.

Piercer, so true, so true. I found a Dyno Glide 24 that had been spray-bombed flat black. The black paint came right off with acetone, but the original yellow and black paint job was all scratched up. Looks like someone had waved around some 50-grit sandpaper here and there. Didn't actually prep the surface for repainting, but left large scratches all over (see photo below). I had to sand down and repaint the whole frame. Would have liked to save that cool paint job (second photo shows another bike with original paint).
dyno7.jpg

dyno4.jpg

Back