When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Informal poll

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
ONLY original for me, even if crusty. 99.9% of restorers get the color wrong, decals in the wrong place, paint too thick, runs... Looks like #@$%
I just picked up a rusty, crusty Western Flyer Bmx 20'" bike that was black with a springer front fork that i plan on making into a semi Chopper bike.

I personally like them in any and all conditions. From stunning original, too crusty patina, too excellent restoration, too whatever floats your boat. The most important thing is find like minded folks and get out there and ride. As Frank says,” Ridden not hidden!”

Last edited:
My father came from a generation of antique bicycle collectors who believed in "museum-quality restorations." When I was young, he restored a handful of bicycles that, while appear to have just rolled off the showroom floor, never should have been messed with in my opinion. And it wasn't just common practice at the time, it was standard practice. Luckily times and tastes change. I have a 100% preference for original bikes. But sometimes original isn't an option and I try to make the best of those situations. With the 36 Westfield I just pulled together, this is where original had me...

1629124183915.png

To my great disappointment, there was no original paint left on this frame. But it's a pretty uncommon bike that I believe deserved to be brought back. So I ultimately painted it to match other original paint components and made, what I believe is, the best of the situation. If I had a choice of this frame or an original paint specimen, I pick the original paint example every time (even crusty). But I didn't have that choice and went the route of creating the best impression while doing the least harm.

1629124674055.png

With all that said, everyone is different and if you own it, it's ultimately yours to do with what you like. I've seen some customs that have taken original bicycles that I would have loved to have owned and turned them into something that makes me cringe. But guess what? It's none of my business. Aside from the rare case of destroying something historically significant, there are plenty of bikes to go around and people deserve to be happy with them however they see fit.

A lot of interesting points of view being expressed here. Admittedly, when I first entered into this, my intention was to do a full-on restoration/recreation of a specific bike as it would have appeared at a specific time. But having looked through so many threads/images of what others have done/are doing, as well as what's been posted here, I find that my perspective has shifted rather dramatically - cleaned-up, functional, and looking basically as-found is becoming the "look" I find I prefer.

-Cheers,

Guinness

Back