When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Informal poll

-
I'm firmly in the crusty, rusty originality camp.
But currently with my 1898 'Quadrant' project I find myself erring towards a full restoration as it is in such a terrible condition to begin with.
Paint will definitely be required, possibly plating too.
It's interesting how my opinions have changed!

None of my bike projects are full blown or original condition as premised; and (for understandable reasons), I do not plan to leave them in an as-found condition neither.
So in general, I might lean in some other direction.

Last edited:
Only machine on which i orchestrated the restoration.

The late Bob Jameson did the paint, pins and plating
waaay back in 1996.

The late Phil Scott ( shoe3 ) gave me the frame and
fork.

The frame / fork were authentic HD ... circa 1917 ...
complete with badge-retention screw holes.

Took me maybe seven-plus years to locate all the
other correct parts.

Have never seen or found another HD Model 417.

These days i like 'em crusty ... toasty ... solid and rideable.

patric

Last edited:
Its always nice to have a "purdy" bike,it is best to leave it original.Start painting and value goes down the toilet. If you plan to keep it then do what you want."restored is a misused word.Restored means to make it exactly like it left the factory.There are members on this site that can tell if you used an improper screw.lol

I think there already a few threads on this topic. On a decent, deluxe balloon tire bike the price of a top level restoration is going to start at about $2500. V/r Shawn
Phantom's are really the only balloon tire bike I know much about and a top lever restoration I think would start at more than that. Even then, I would prefer a C 8 or so original.

Back